More Improvements Come To KDE Plasma Wayland, KF6 Development Enters Next Phase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post

Try running a GTK1 application in a modern distribution today in 2023 and see how much pain it entails.
    Few years ago I was using Qt3 application from around 2005 in rolling release distro (so with fresh packages) without any issues. I also have some AppImages that I made few years ago and they still work without issues. There are also some videos on YouTube of running old applications on Linux. Kernel, glibc and X maintain pretty good backwards compatibility so as long you can get dependencies (I had to install Qt3 from repo) there shouldn't be any problem with that.

Linux backwards compatibility can be pain not because critical parts of the OS don't care about it but because of the way how dependencies are distributed (in most cases they are not part of application like on Windows). Thinks like Flatpak or AppImage can help with that.

Comment

I really only have one thing that irritates me very much with KDE and that is when i alt+F2 or winkey to type what program i want to start there is a long delay often many second.
      That function should be immediately​ with out delay and prioritized, i press it and starts to type but it won't work since there's a delay.
      In a clean install it often works ok but after some time the delay is terrible, i tested right now and it was a 3 second delay before i could write anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Steffo View Post
        KDE changed my life. It made me switch to macOS.
        To or from macOS?

Comment

Originally posted by Nille_kungen View Post
          I really only have one thing that irritates me very much with KDE and that is when i alt+F2 or winkey to type what program i want to start there is a long delay often many second.
          That function should be immediately​ with out delay and prioritized, i press it and starts to type but it won't work since there's a delay.
          In a clean install it often works ok but after some time the delay is terrible, i tested right now and it was a 3 second delay before i could write anything.
          This happens because krun iterates through a lot of search options, click on configuration icon and disable things you don't use. On my case, I let only activities, applications, desktop sessions and recent files enabled. It open up almost instantaneously​.

Comment

Originally posted by motang View Post

To or from macOS?
            KDE --> macOS.

But maybe next year Linux will conquer the desktop. I gave up after 11 years (!) of Linux.

Comment

22 years and I still use Linux exclusively. Plasma 6 + Wayland with Vulkan renderer shoud work like a charm.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille_kungen View Post
                Not come across that one, Always been instant for me.

Last update does appear to have broken DPMS for me though.

Screens switch off fine if I leave it the login screen, soon as I login DPMS gets disabled, Yes I do have "Screen energy saving" ticked.

Comment

I have a feeling that they're packing new features and overlooking hard some basic ones like
                  keyboard shortcut for right click menu. Recently I used a keyboard that has no dedicated menu key to bring a context menu, and was surprised that I cannot press Shift+F10 to bring it up, which I found is a standard way to do it.

Comment

I understand, but I like the hardware quality of my MacBook Air (even Linus Torvalds is using it) and the quality of the OS and apps. Using 20 years old applications, is not really high priority for me.
                    Quality of macOS? Good joke. There's better hardware than MacBook Air.

Comment

KDE --> macOS.

But maybe next year Linux will conquer the desktop. I gave up after 11 years (!) of Linux.
                      Wake me up when macOS becomes more than a toy on desktop.

Comment

Working...
                      X