X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• motang
    replied
    Originally posted by Steffo View Post
    KDE changed my life. It made me switch to macOS.
    To or from macOS?

Leave a comment:

• Nille_kungen
    replied
    I really only have one thing that irritates me very much with KDE and that is when i alt+F2 or winkey to type what program i want to start there is a long delay often many second.
    That function should be immediately​ with out delay and prioritized, i press it and starts to type but it won't work since there's a delay.
    In a clean install it often works ok but after some time the delay is terrible, i tested right now and it was a 3 second delay before i could write anything.

Leave a comment:

• dragon321
    replied
    Originally posted by Sonadow View Post

Try running a GTK1 application in a modern distribution today in 2023 and see how much pain it entails.
    Few years ago I was using Qt3 application from around 2005 in rolling release distro (so with fresh packages) without any issues. I also have some AppImages that I made few years ago and they still work without issues. There are also some videos on YouTube of running old applications on Linux. Kernel, glibc and X maintain pretty good backwards compatibility so as long you can get dependencies (I had to install Qt3 from repo) there shouldn't be any problem with that.

Linux backwards compatibility can be pain not because critical parts of the OS don't care about it but because of the way how dependencies are distributed (in most cases they are not part of application like on Windows). Thinks like Flatpak or AppImage can help with that.

Leave a comment:

• Vistaus
    replied
    Try running a GTK1 application in a modern distribution today in 2023 and see how much pain it entails.
    GTK1, yes, but Qt1 shouldn't be an issue as there are not many breaking changes between Qt1 and Qt5 at least.

Leave a comment:

• kokoko3k
    replied

- KWin now tries harder to force the smoothest animations by default. This also improves the Intel integrated graphics performance under Plasma Wayland.​
    AFAIK it just defaults to highest latency, since performance under Wayland are not on par with Xorg, at least on some igps:

Is there more?

I also wait to switch to wayland, i can't stand the mouse cursor to lag when the compositor can't keep up with the rendering... under Xorg we have hardware cursors working at least.

Leave a comment:

• Steffo
    replied

Given a choice between macOS and Windows, I'd still take Windows. That feeling of assurance that any random hardware bought off-the-shelf will definitely have Windows drivers, and that software applications written during the days of Windows 2000 or Windows XP will still continue to run in Windows 11 unmodified is a huge deal. Try running a GTK1 application in a modern distribution today in 2023 and see how much pain it entails.
    I understand, but I like the hardware quality of my MacBook Air (even Linus Torvalds is using it) and the quality of the OS and apps. Using 20 years old applications, is not really high priority for me.

Leave a comment:

• Sonadow
    replied
    Originally posted by Steffo View Post
    Given a choice between macOS and Windows, I'd still take Windows. That feeling of assurance that any random hardware bought off-the-shelf will definitely have Windows drivers, and that software applications written during the days of Windows 2000 or Windows XP will still continue to run in Windows 11 unmodified is a huge deal. Try running a GTK1 application in a modern distribution today in 2023 and see how much pain it entails.

And also because for some strange reason, Chinese developers still seem to be slavishly developing their software and development for Windows as a tier-1 platform, macOS as a tier-2 platform and Linux as a tier-bottom-of-the-bottom platform even though they are fully aware that the US has weaponised software against them. Damn, HarmonyOS's developer environment and SDK is almost entirely Windows-exclusive. What the hell, Huawei?

Leave a comment:

• bug77
    replied
    Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
    I hope hey could bring some major features for Plasma 6, something like a Vulkan renderer, HDR support, Bublewrap, Firejail integration, etc.
    HDR support is missing in Wayland (and X), it can't be implemented in Kwin alone, sadly

Leave a comment:

• Danny3
    replied
    I hope hey could bring some major features for Plasma 6, something like a Vulkan renderer, HDR support, Bublewrap, Firejail integration, etc.

Leave a comment:

• Steffo
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X