HUGE perf difference between Windows and Linux with ffmpeg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HUGE perf difference between Windows and Linux with ffmpeg

I rarely use Windows but was doing some tests out of interest today. I have loads of videos to re encode to AV1. Nothing fancy I just use libsvtav1 and set preset 3, crf 32 with opus audio.

ffmpeg both running 5.1.2 (I even manually downloaded latest autobuilds of both)
    To encode 1 min on
    Windows 11 takes 2:54
    Arch Linux Zen 6.1.6 5:09
    Arch Linux Intel Clear 6.1.5 4:47

I don't know what I can do to get get close to Windows performance with FFMPEG. I even played Serious Sam 4 on benchmark mode while encoding and Windows just took 3:17 with little to no stutters. I'm both impressed and saddened. I mostly encode in the background while working / gaming. Any ideas to close the gap?

HW: 5950X
    GPU: 5700XT

I haven't used AMD video cards on Linux in a while, but I was wondering if open source mesa drivers vs amdgpu pro drivers made a difference. Found this reddit post that may be useful to you. https://www.reddit.com/r/linuxmaster...gpupro_ffmpeg/

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I don't use any GPU acceleration. I always found the quality to be too low on both NV and AMD. So I use software / CPU based. Still it's a big difference in performance almost double. I wonder what the bottleneck is.

Comment

What I have noticed is CPU usage on Windows AVG's around 80% with regular peaks to 100%, Linux AVG is around 40% with occasional peaks to 60% - clearly shows Windows is using CPU better - which is odd for Linux vs Windows.

Comment

Working...
        X