Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Qt 6.5 Beta Released With New Modules

Phoronix: Qt 6.5 Beta Released With New Modules

The Qt Group has released Qt 6.5 beta just in time for Christmas as what will be their next toolkit feature release premiering as stable around the end of Q1...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

See you next year

Comment

Qt 6.5 will also include support for the Wayland fractional scaling protocol:

Comment

Cool, but they suck!
        A few days ago I wanted to read the changelog of Qt 5.15.7 since a year has passed and it has been released for everyone.
        Guess what?
        I couldn't as even though a year has passed and it's been released the chagelog is still private!
        I'm sorry but I cannot see Qt any other than run by a bunch of greedy assholes!

As for improvements, I expected that by now they helped Qt based software to have good Wayland and Vulkan support, which clearly they don't.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
          Cool, but they suck!
          A few days ago I wanted to read the changelog of Qt 5.15.7 since a year has passed and it has been released for everyone.
          Guess what?
          I couldn't as even though a year has passed and it's been released the chagelog is still private!
          I'm sorry but I cannot see Qt any other than run by a bunch of greedy assholes!

As for improvements, I expected that by now they helped Qt based software to have good Wayland and Vulkan support, which clearly they don't.
          My dumbass found it in under three minutes using a less-than-known service called Google Search. It's in an obscure repository named "qtreleasenotes", under some non-descriptive directories like "qt/5.15.7", and in a file cryptically named "release-note.md".

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

My dumbass found it in under three minutes using a less-than-known service called Google Search. It's in an obscure repository named "qtreleasenotes", under some non-descriptive directories like "qt/5.15.7", and in a file cryptically named "release-note.md".
            Wow, thanks!

Maybe it's the fact that you used Google instead of Duckduckgo that I'm using by default.
            And the non-descriptive or cryptically names didn't help either.

I honestly expected to see the changelog on this page:

And I guess I was not the only one, seeing the comment on that page.

Comment

Qt made a big mistake by lagging in their Wayland-game. You want to be a cross-platform toolkit? Well, Wayland is the new platform on Linux that eventually every serious app will support. You, Qt, could have seen this coming.

Now we are on 6.5 and still the experimental tape is on.

Glad it's improving though. I like the APIs they offer much better than GTKs.

But there is a Wayland-first alternative being build, "iced", and for Linux only apps it may soon overtake Qt as my fav.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post

Wow, thanks!

Maybe it's the fact that you used Google instead of Duckduckgo that I'm using by default.
                And the non-descriptive or cryptically names didn't help either.

I honestly expected to see the changelog on this page:
                https://www.qt.io/blog/commercial-lt....15.7-released
                And I guess I was not the only one, seeing the comment on that page.
                No problem. I did a shot in the dark search with commit message of Merge Qt 5.15.7 opensource release​ and the mailing list with the changelog link was the first Google result which, luckily enough, is exactly what I was hoping to find. The same search on DDG didn't find that page with the release notes link. It did find some very close links like projects in the same repo as qtreleasenotes, but that's still two or three degrees of separation...
                Last edited by skeevy420; 22 December 2022, 07:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rafanelli View Post
                  Now we are on 6.5 and still the experimental tape is on.
                  You are not getting it right, Qt has not been lagging in their Wayland-game as you claim. Qt support for Wayland has been excellent for years. A curios fact about that, you could buy commercial products using Qt on Wayland quite a while before any of the Linux desktops was able to even run an experimental Wayland session.

What is new in 6.5 is a Wayland Native Interface, and that is very ​advanced use-cases functionality not needed in most applications. Besides this was already possible in Qt5, but in a less clean manner. Now a better way has been introduced in QT6.

Comment

Originally posted by Morty View Post
                    You are not getting it right, Qt has not been lagging in their Wayland-game as you claim.
                    I was more pointing at the fractional scaling support. That's the blurriness KDE users complain about right? Great that it's fixed.

Comment

Working...
                    X