Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Lands Wayland Fractional Scaling Support

Phoronix: KDE Lands Wayland Fractional Scaling Support

As a wonderful Christmas gift to KDE Plasma users on Wayland, fractional scaling under Wayland has been successfully merged...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This must be a sad week for the anti-Wayland crowd, with both fractional scaling and opt-in spying by legacy apps being available now.

Comment

Originally posted by archkde View Post
      This must be a sad week for the anti-Wayland crowd, with both fractional scaling and opt-in spying by legacy apps being available now.
      Or a happy week?? Geeze, wide projecting brush there.. not toxic at all...

I should suggest they feature an option to only let specific apps spy on specific keypresses. Not sure how they're getting it done as is, but it's not an unreasonable feature to have hotkeys
      Last edited by doomie; 17 December 2022, 07:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by archkde View Post
        There's no anti-Wayland crowd, there's a crowd of people who want to get shit done, not jerk off to something which is touted a second coming of Christ while it makes your life horrible. Wayland was proclaimed ready to use at least five years ago. And it's only good/more or less complete if you're a Gnome user and lots of people (I'd say most people as indicated by various polls about your favorite DE over the past couple of years) are just not Gnome fans.

Lastly under XFCE my fonts for all applications are crisp however when I start Firefox under Wayfire its fonts turn into a blurry mess. They are seemingly properly antialiased but it looks like they are scaled and scaled horribly. I've got zero environment variables. XWayland is not even installed, so it's a pure Wayland session. And I don't know where to look, nor I'm interested in that at all. Fonts are absolutely basic and crucial for me. I don't want to break my neck Googling for solutions.

Under X.org you set your DPI and it just works (for a single monitor which is how ~99% of people work). Under Wayland? Nope. 25 levels of complexity.

Cue Mr. oiaohm who will explain in 10 paragraphs how blurry fonts under Wayland is how things should be and I just need a 300 dpi monitor.
        Last edited by avis; 17 December 2022, 07:18 AM.

Comment

If KDE crowd would have continued to work together with Roman Gilg, the multi monitor support could have been fixed a long time ago. But finally at least some progress! Hope it works now as expected.

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post

Lastly under XFCE my fonts for all applications are crisp however when I start Firefox under Wayfire its fonts turn into a blurry mess. They are seemingly properly antialiased but it looks like they are scaled and scaled horribly. I've got zero environment variables. XWayland is not even installed, so it's a pure Wayland session. And I don't know where to look, nor I'm interested in that at all. Fonts are absolutely basic and crucial for me. I don't want to break my neck Googling for solutions.
            Have you made a bug report about that already? Not sure if it'd be one of Firefox or Wayfire though.

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post

There's no anti-Wayland crowd, there's a crowd of people who want to get shit done, not jerk off to something which is touted a second coming of Christ while it makes your life horrible. Wayland was proclaimed ready to use at least five years ago. And it's only good/more or less complete if you're a Gnome user and lots of people (I'd say most people as indicated by various polls about your favorite DE over the past couple of years) are just not Gnome fans.

Under X.org you set your DPI and it just works (for a single monitor which is how ~99% of people work). Under Wayland? Nope. 25 levels of complexity.

Cue Mr. oiaohm who will explain in 10 paragraphs how blurry fonts under Wayland is how things should be and I just need a 300 dpi monitor.
              Wanting to get things done and using obscure project don't go well together

Besides, all the Wayland "bugs" discussion, they all are just KDE bugs

Comment

Originally posted by Jbk0 View Post

Have you made a bug report about that already? Not sure if it'd be one of Firefox or Wayfire though.
                I don't want to think about that. Sorry. I've filed close to a thousand bug reports in my life, I couldn't care less about something whose core features are outright broken. Wayland doesn't deal with fonts, I know, but I don't want to bang my head against the wall trying to figure out whether it's a Firefox or Wayfire issue. I'm not sixteen any more. I want things to work out of the box. Just, you know, as they work in Windows, MacOS, Android or iOS.

Originally posted by mirmirmir View Post

Wanting to get things done and using obscure project don't go well together

Besides, all the Wayland "bugs" discussion, they all are just KDE bugs
                I've noticed with Wayland all the issues are not Wayland's, the protocol is just perfect.
                Last edited by avis; 17 December 2022, 11:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by doomie View Post

Or a happy week?? Geeze, wide projecting brush there.. not toxic at all...

I should suggest they feature an option to only let specific apps spy on specific keypresses. Not sure how they're getting it done as is, but it's not an unreasonable feature to have hotkeys
                  Non-legacy apps can use the global shortcuts protocol. The feature implemented this week is only for old apps still relying on the X11 spying interface.

Comment

Originally posted by xfcemint View Post
                    Nope. At least, not in my opinion.
                    But Wayland is able to hide in such a manner that the issues of the Wayland protocol appear to be issues with other components. For example, see this analysis of mine, and, in the same thread, also this post and this post.
                    You're just funny. I'm really lmao irl rn

Comment

Working...
                    X