KDE Plasma 5.27 To Provide Better Multi-Monitor Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chugworth View Post
    Well if you want to see some bugs, try using 16:9 4K monitor scaled to 200% paired with a 16:10 HD monitor scaled to 100% running through a Thunderbolt docking station.
    Every day for the last 2 years, I connect my Intel based 14" ThinkPad with a 4k panel (set to 200%) to either of the following over Thunderbolt:
    - 49" ultra-wide 5120x1440 32:9 monitor (100% scaling)
    - 27" 2560 x 1440 16:9 monitor (100% scaling)

Using the Gnome desktop with Wayland, and has been working great.

Comment

I used to run a 3 screen "tie fighter" H setup, but one day a KDE update broke it a couple years ago, and I couldn't get anywhere with getting it resolved, so I went back to single screen.

Comment

I wonder if this'll mean I can finally no longer make "disable KScreen and hard-code the GPU output config in xorg.conf" one of the standard steps in my setup process.

Comment

Originally posted by zexelon View Post
          Glad to know I am not alone in this mess with plasma! I dont even have a screen saver (its disabled). But yah, turning off monitors or letting them go to sleep just freaks KDE right out. Often times it comes back on (with the backgrounds messed up), but some times it just blows up and I either have to restart the session or mess around with turning the monitors off and then back on in a specific order while adjusting the settings... thankfully that only happens about 5-10% of the time.

Its part of the "Linux Desktop Charm™" ...

Random question, what graphics card do you use? My setup is Nvidia.
          Radeon RX 6600. Dare to recommend for a casual use and very light gaming. Everything just works.

Had to disable screen saver too, it gives me way too much trouble. My 4k twins seems speak to kernel in an alien DP language. So they may not return from offline as the kernel do not catch their DP events properly (turn on/off, sleep). After session lock timeout there is a chance for desktop to somehow shift ports ID's?, yet everything heals on reboot. Otherwise, the wayland session is pleasant. On top of the above misfortune pile i had a faulty DP cable problem, took a lot of meditation and lot of coffee to sort it out. The first plasma boot up felt like a nasty groin kick, then first reaction was a HUGE disappointment and frustration!

Comment

Originally posted by SilverBird775 View Post
            Radeon RX 6600. Dare to recommend for a casual use and very light gaming. Everything just works.

Had to disable screen saver too, it gives me way too much trouble. My 4k twins seems speak to kernel in an alien DP language. So they may not return from offline as the kernel do not catch their DP events properly (turn on/off, sleep). After session lock timeout there is a chance for desktop to somehow shift ports ID's?, yet everything heals on reboot. Otherwise, the wayland session is pleasant. On top of the above misfortune pile i had a faulty DP cable problem, took a lot of meditation and lot of coffee to sort it out. The first plasma boot up felt like a nasty groin kick, then first reaction was a HUGE disappointment and frustration!
            Yah, I have to use Nvidia for CUDA. All in all happy with it and their Linux support.

On the display port front... I just totally abandoned DP and went back to HDMI... it was to painful, and that was in both Windows and Linux. I think they tried to get "too creative" with either the DP spec or the implementations (never bothered to figure out which one).

Comment

Originally posted by SilverBird775 View Post
              Had to disable screen saver too, it gives me way too much trouble. My 4k twins seems speak to kernel in an alien DP language. So they may not return from offline as the kernel do not catch their DP events properly (turn on/off, sleep). After session lock timeout there is a chance for desktop to somehow shift ports ID's?, yet everything heals on reboot.
              If your monitors support displayport passthrough (MST/multi stream transport/DP 1.4) try disabling that on all monitors if there is an option to. That fixed all the weirdness with the displays renaming themselves (and thereby confusing kde) for me with my RX 480/RX 6600 and some dells.

Comment

What purpose would be served with a monitor renaming itself? Is that the monitors actions, or some element of the display stack 'renaming' it's internal pointers?
                Hi

Comment

Originally posted by rhavenn View Post

I like KDE more than the other DEs, but holy hell...the multi-monitor support is so broken. It worked fine until 5.24 or some minor patch level in 5.25, but then it all went to shit. I think they were trying to make it better for certain edge cases, but ended up just making it worse for everyone. Sometime in one of the last minor 5.26 patches my monitors started not forgetting their backgrounds / crashing plasma via the DP ports (Arch install), but the HDMI ports (Fedora 37) still break whenever waking up. It did stop moving my window to "hidden" desktops though which is nice. That was REALLY annoying.
                  Yeah, there was an attempt to improve the situation, but it just made things worse.
                  But actually – being a KDE multi screen user for years – it was always broken. Sometimes more, sometimes less, but something always was wrong.
                  And especially on Wayland, the whole thing was completely broken for a long time, since they dropped the support for "primary screen", which introduced some randomness into the screen configuration.
                  Originally posted by xorbe View Post
                  I used to run a 3 screen "tie fighter" H setup, but one day a KDE update broke it a couple years ago, and I couldn't get anywhere with getting it resolved, so I went back to single screen.
                  Same here. I've been using it on multiple screens since the beginning of KDE4 and ever since, it was broken as hell.
                  There were some times at which it was a bit better, but ultimately, you could always lose panels, desktops etc.
                  Thankfully the whole panel configuration nowadays is done quickly, so it wasn't that big of a deal.

btw. this was one of the main reasons why I never really bothered with widgets on the desktop or panel. They get lost eventually anyways, so setting something up doesn't make sense …

However, after reading that proposal, for the first time since the beginning of KDE4, I do have hope that things will really improve now.
                  First, the concept of assigning dedicated numbers to screens in a layout seems like a good decision (I wonder why it was not always like that???) and second, after reading many of the bugs about these topics on their bug tracker, I get the impression that they have acknowledged that this is a really big deal.
                  And this was not always the case. I especially remember during the beginnings of kscreen, multi screen was something rather low priority on KDE, with not many people working on the stuff.

I can't remember how it was with KDE3.5. Or maybe I was still using single screen back then, not sure.
                  But back then, multi screen was a bit of an annoyance on Linux anyways, although for completely different reasons.
                  Oh, the joy, when RandR 1.2 was introduced … xD

Originally posted by gustavoar View Post
                  I just wish they could make virtual desktop work like in gnome, so that I can have one monitor sticky to not change content when I change virtual desktop. I know there is an extension to simulate that in KDE but it's very buggy
                  ​I know it's not the same thing, but maybe it could still help:
                  You can make a window appear on all desktops by right-click -> Move Desktop -> All Desktops.
                  To make that quicker, you can also set up your window decorations such that there is a button (a pin in my theme) for this functionality.
                  Last edited by Berniyh; 17 December 2022, 07:50 AM.

Comment

I have a list of a few things that IMHO are generally worse under Linux, on any kernel, desktop environment etc. in the least decade. Smooth Multi-Monitor experience is one of its entries.

Sure, same pixel-count and connected to the right of your laptop? Works like a charm.

But move it, change screen types, different pixel-counts, unplug too fast before suspending, re-plug too quickly after a docking station glitch or use additional GPUs and so on, and so on… window-manager barfs, crashes, screen comes in the wrong resolution, screen stops reporting its supported resolutions or the kernel just crashes.

Let's hope Plasma 5.27 us a step in the right direction!

Comment

Originally posted by Chugworth View Post
                      I can predict exactly what's going to happen when HDR finally arrives in Linux. I'm going to open some HDR video or HDR game and I'm going to say "Wow, this looks great with HDR enabled". But in reality that app would just be outputting in SDR due to some bug or inactive code.

The problem with HDR is that it's not so easy to get a side-by-side comparison, and 4K video in general looks nice. So I like to have some sort of confirmation that what I am seeing is in fact HDR.
                      On an HDR capable monitor with peak brightness of at least around 1000 nits or so, the difference is pretty obvious.

Comment

Working...
                      X