No announcement yet.

KDE Plasma 5.27 To Provide Better Multi-Monitor Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well if you want to see some bugs, try using 16:9 4K monitor scaled to 200% paired with a 16:10 HD monitor scaled to 100% running through a Thunderbolt docking station.

Comment

Originally posted by arun54321 View Post
      Year 3023. plasma kde stills fixing multi-monitor bugs, crashes and UI glitches.
      Year 3024 Gnome finally implements VRR on wayland

Comment

22 years late, everyone...

Comment

I just wish they could make virtual desktop work like in gnome, so that I can have one monitor sticky to not change content when I change virtual desktop. I know there is an extension to simulate that in KDE but it's very buggy

Comment

KDE is growing...

Comment

Originally posted by Leinad View Post

Here is article, where one part is about components needed for HDR: https://blogs.gnome.org/uraeus/2022/...a-workstation/
              Thank you!

So per that link, it will happen in the year 2099. :-(
              Last edited by NeoMorpheus; 16 December 2022, 02:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by NeoMorpheus View Post

Thank you!

So per that link, it will happen in the year 2099. :-(
                I can predict exactly what's going to happen when HDR finally arrives in Linux. I'm going to open some HDR video or HDR game and I'm going to say "Wow, this looks great with HDR enabled". But in reality that app would just be outputting in SDR due to some bug or inactive code.

The problem with HDR is that it's not so easy to get a side-by-side comparison, and 4K video in general looks nice. So I like to have some sort of confirmation that what I am seeing is in fact HDR.
                Last edited by Chugworth; 16 December 2022, 02:41 PM.

Comment

I hear Xmonad is really good for multi-monitor support.

Comment

Originally posted by zexelon View Post
                    KDE is the best for my liking, but the multi-monitor has always been glitchy, especially when coming out of "sleep" or monitor power off. It frequently loses one of the two monitors or detects one of them as a newly plugged in monitor (best as I can tell this is what its doing) and drops the old one. Its annoying but not the end of the world. Its odd because I dont recall the same issues in Gnome with miltiple monitors, but I typically only use gnome a couple of times a year.
                    Turning off displays and waiting for a screensaver to kick in is pretty much a warranty for a desktop setup to screw up somehow. The screensaver may broke too leaving the only option to unlock the current session by opening another session. Also, your display may not awake from "sleep" at all. There is another problem with a wacky DP controllers with a non standard callbacks and weird timings. It just adds to all the multihead craziness going on. It so happened i moved to Plasma and DisplayPort multihead configuration simultaneously​. This is officially the Most painful Linux experience i ever had. I kind of worked out some habits to avoid unrecoverable monitors states yet plasma still freaks of monitors configuration changes even there are seemingly none and no cables touched.

Comment

Originally posted by SilverBird775 View Post
                      Turning off displays and waiting for a screensaver to kick in is pretty much a warranty for a desktop setup to screw up somehow. The screensaver may broke too leaving the only option to unlock the current session by opening another session. Also, your display may not awake from "sleep" at all. There is another problem with a wacky DP controllers with a non standard callbacks and weird timings. It just adds to all the multihead craziness going on. It so happened i moved to Plasma and DisplayPort multihead configuration simultaneously​. This is officially the Most painful Linux experience i ever had. I kind of worked out some habits to avoid unrecoverable monitors states yet plasma still freaks of monitors configuration changes even there are seemingly none and no cables touched.
                      Glad to know I am not alone in this mess with plasma! I dont even have a screen saver (its disabled). But yah, turning off monitors or letting them go to sleep just freaks KDE right out. Often times it comes back on (with the backgrounds messed up), but some times it just blows up and I either have to restart the session or mess around with turning the monitors off and then back on in a specific order while adjusting the settings... thankfully that only happens about 5-10% of the time.

Its part of the "Linux Desktop Charm™" ...

Random question, what graphics card do you use? My setup is Nvidia.

Comment

Working...
                      X