KDE Rewriting Spectacle UI, Fixing Paste Issues Under Plasma Wayland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Rewriting Spectacle UI, Fixing Paste Issues Under Plasma Wayland

Phoronix: KDE Rewriting Spectacle UI, Fixing Paste Issues Under Plasma Wayland

KDE developers remain quite busy as we approach the holiday season. KDE's Spectacle screenshot utility has seen some new work and there were various other fixes and improvements to be merged this week...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Finally, back to more Wayland fixes this week.
    Finally,

Comment

I hope they don't mess up Spectacle.
      I use it on a daily basis and it works well for me as is.

Comment

Originally posted by Raka555 View Post
        I hope they don't mess up Spectacle.
        I use it on a daily basis and it works well for me as is.
        I agree, Flameshot is a bit too advanced for me and I see that Spectacle following that software (a bit)

Comment

Originally posted by salvaju29ro View Post

I agree, Flameshot is a bit too advanced for me and I see that Spectacle following that software (a bit)
          It is for some reason true, that FOSS software's evolution eventually often ends up in packing more and more features. Like that's the whole plan.

While commercial software, on average, has a much better grasp of what it's users need, and how to cut the cake between new features and usability. In the end it is often a very holistic experience.

You can hate me for that opinion but it is just my experience.
          Last edited by Nuc!eoN; 10 December 2022, 08:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nuc!eoN View Post

It is for some reason true, that FOSS software's evolution eventually often ends up in packing more and more features. Like that's the whole plan.

While commercial software, on average, has a much better grasp of what it's users need, and how to cut the cake between new features and usability. In the end it is often a very holistic experience.

Good thing GNOME’s got it all figured out.

Comment

Originally posted by Nuc!eoN View Post

Personally, if I have to choose, I prefer to have one more function, which is also why I choose KDE and not Gnome. But I get your point

Comment

Originally posted by salvaju29ro View Post

I actually preferred Flameshot before, and only switched after it didn't work well on Wayland. I like both old and the promised new Spectacle. They're great for my job. I've always find the annotation workflow to be kinda cumbersome and not very obvious, so I welcome this one very much.

Being able to choose what format to save in is also very cool -- surprised by how much smaller WebP is, planning to use it from now on since it has better support than jxl, the other format that's most comparable. Spectacle has so many format it can save in...

Comment

Will be interesting how far spectacle will advance.
                  I still prefer ksnip because spectacle is too limited, but on the other hand, i don't really need many features of ksnip. So spectacle getting more feature-rich is very welcomed by me ^^

Comment

Screen recording, Nice!

Comment

Working...
                    X