Wine 8.0-rc1 Released With VKD3D 1.6, Vulkan/OpenGL Thunking Optimizations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wine 8.0-rc1 Released With VKD3D 1.6, Vulkan/OpenGL Thunking Optimizations

Phoronix: Wine 8.0-rc1 Released With VKD3D 1.6, Vulkan/OpenGL Thunking Optimizations

As planned the first release candidate of Wine 8.0 is now available that marks the culmination of the Wine 7.xx bi-weekly development releases and now onto the strictly bug-fixing phase before introducing Wine 8.0 as stable in early 2023...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The new release also includes a fix for TMUnlimiter reading its config file. 128³ Deep Fear is now possible on Linux! (You'll also need to use a LAA patch on both the TMUnlimiter and main TM EXEs though, since DXVK uses more memory address space than Windows.)

Comment

Originally posted by QwertyChouskie View Post
      The new release also includes a fix for TMUnlimiter reading its config file. 128³ Deep Fear is now possible on Linux! (You'll also need to use a LAA patch on both the TMUnlimiter and main TM EXEs though, since DXVK uses more memory address space than Windows.)
      I had no idea what most of those words even meant, but looking into it the "128³ Deep Fear" track for "Track Mania Nations Forever", using the "TrackMania Unlimiter" mod to unlock the larger track size (among other things), is quite impressive.

Here's a video of the record run: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-suyG1tNRg

Comment

still looking for a solution for games running too fast, on windows I would use CE's speedhack to force game to run at a certain speed, but no tool has managed to work on linux for me yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post
          still looking for a solution for games running too fast, on windows I would use CE's speedhack to force game to run at a certain speed, but no tool has managed to work on linux for me yet.
          You might be able to do it the old fashioned way, setting max CPU caps as you would for any other process under linux

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post
            If a game is running too fast, it's usually because speed is framerate-dependent. (I hit this problem when playing H2Overdrive via TeknoParrot.) Just set your display to 60Hz or use libstrangle or such to force that particular game to a 30/60FPS cap.

Comment

Originally posted by dEnigma View Post

I had no idea what most of those words even meant, but looking into it the "128³ Deep Fear" track for "Track Mania Nations Forever", using the "TrackMania Unlimiter" mod to unlock the larger track size (among other things), is quite impressive.

Here's a video of the record run: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-suyG1tNRg
              A legendary run by a legendary player. Not only did he drive the world's hardest fullspeed track with 0 failures, he implemented a bunch of very precise speedslides and airtime reductions to get the speed necessary for a sub-10 time.

I've played the track myself for like 4 hours, the farthest I could get into the track was about 40 seconds in (not even to the first respawnable checkpoint!)

Comment

Originally posted by Developer12 View Post

You might be able to do it the old fashioned way, setting max CPU caps as you would for any other process under linux
                Originally posted by QwertyChouskie View Post

If a game is running too fast, it's usually because speed is framerate-dependent. (I hit this problem when playing H2Overdrive via TeknoParrot.) Just set your display to 60Hz or use libstrangle or such to force that particular game to a 30/60FPS cap.
                haven't figured it out entirely, but limiting cpu usage is not viable (even limiting to a single core is no go). and neither is vsync due to it being an old game engine directly using GDI. and it's not that unique either, even on windows there are multiple games like it, I do eventually want to try and adding speedhack feature to PINCE and try that since for some reason i can't get CE to even work but don't really have the time. I suspect that since CE works on windows, that the game uses an internal tick counter that is somewhat based on execution speed. needs more investigating though.

Comment

Working...
                X