No announcement yet.

KDE Ending Out November With UI Improvements, More Plasma Wayland Fixes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I kan't stand the tools' stupid names from this projekt...

Good code has good variable naming convention.
    Good projects should have good software naming convention.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post

It was rock solid compared to 95/98/ME crap. Also a bit faster than 2k thanks to prefetch stuff and optimizations. I remember maintaining Pentium 4 / 2k Dell workstations that were slow as hell.
      No it wasn't lol. Win98SE was much more stable than early XP was, people have some pretty rose colored glasses around XP because they only remember SP3, but early XP was a pretty shitty experience all around until Microsoft started rolling out the service packs.

Comment

Originally posted by rmfx View Post

Quite simply, stfu and take your hipster shit elsewhere. There's no such thing as a bad product name unless it's like excessively long and hard to remember or something like that. Is it memorable and unique? Then it's a good product name. Period.

Comment

Originally posted by rmfx View Post

You mean like Calendar, Files, Image Viewer, Text Editor or Web. It will be very easy to find help by searching those names online

Good and stupid are quite subjective.

I haven't looked in the code for the quality of the naming convention but I was bitten by Gnomes switch to bland and generic Application names.
          So I prefer quirky naming and be able to get meaningful results back from online searches!
          Last edited by slalomsk8er; 27 November 2022, 05:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by slalomsk8er View Post

You mean like Calendar, Files, Image Viewer, Text Editor or Web. It will be very easy to find help by searching those names online
            Or you could just add "GNOME" in front of it and find what you need. I'm very thankful for not having to memorize unnecessary and nontransparent names like Nautilus, Evince, Epiphany and what not for core applications.
            Last edited by ManicRobot; 27 November 2022, 06:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ManicRobot View Post

Or you could just add "GNOME" in front of it and find what you need. I'm very thankful for not having to memorize unnecessary and nontransparent names like Nautilus, Evince, Epiphany and what not for core applications.
              Just had a look and now one gets useful hits. Back in the day of the change it was very frustrating as even with "Gnome" in the search it was nearly impossible to get meaningful results as most were Mac and Windows related.

I first had to figure out how the tool was originally named to get proper results.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post

No it wasn't lol. Win98SE was much more stable than early XP was, people have some pretty rose colored glasses around XP because they only remember SP3, but early XP was a pretty shitty experience all around until Microsoft started rolling out the service packs.
                +1

The XP experience was total crap for me until SP1 and it didn't get good until SP2. 2k was much better.

By contrast Windows 98, 98 SE and Me were all good. (Windows 98 non-SE possibly a bit less wrt USB.)

Comment

Originally posted by Frenzie View Post
                  The XP experience was total crap for me until SP1 and it didn't get good until SP2. 2k was much better.
                  By contrast Windows 98, 98 SE and Me were all good. (Windows 98 non-SE possibly a bit less wrt USB.)
                  Many of the ME problems are listed here https://www.reddit.com/r/windows/com...ment/citddab/?

Also note comments like (https://www.quora.com/Was-Windows-ME...orse-than-98):

As others have pointed out in their quite excellent and detailed answers, once Microsoft fixed some of the more glaring problems with ME, it became pretty good. Better even than 98. (Although I did remove the version of defrag that came with ME and replaced it with the one from 98, which worked a lot better.)

The bulk of the fixes came when Service Pack One was released for ME. Before SP1, ME was about as stable as a drunken 3-legged giraffe. It would fall over if you looked at it sideways. But after SP1, it was quite a good OS.​

-

98/98ME might have had better drivers for you, but the NT kernel was much better at handling buggy processes with memory leaks and random segfaults. I was developing DOS & Delphi applications both on 98SE and XP. XP was much more stable. It also crashed a lot less and felt smoother when I played Elder Scrolls Morrowind.
                  Last edited by caligula; 27 November 2022, 08:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
                    98/98ME might have had better drivers for you, but the NT kernel was much better at handling buggy processes with memory leaks and random segfaults. I was developing DOS & Delphi applications both on 98SE and XP. XP was much more stable. It also crashed a lot less and felt smoother when I played Elder Scrolls Morrowind.
                    By "for me" I do mean based on my anecdotal experience, yes, but I also mean something far beyond n=1.

Anyway, I already explicitly included the NT kernel in what I wrote. I'd go for 2k or XP SP1, skip XP.

Comment

I feel like I was the only person in the world that had a working Windows ME PC.

Comment

Working...
                      X