Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel's IWD 2.0 Released For Modern Linux Wireless Daemon

Phoronix: Intel's IWD 2.0 Released For Modern Linux Wireless Daemon

One of countless great open-source projects from Intel over the years is IWD as a modern wireless daemon for WiFi devices on Linux. IWD has been in the works for over a half-decade as a new replacement to wpa_supplicant and with time has implemented many features and seen widespread adoption. Released this week was IWD 2.0 as the latest milestone for this open-source wireless daemon...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

so softap on 5ghz is available? or are they still following microsoft example of only 2ghz softap?
    i know they block their own cards on 5ghz softap but they should not block other cards too

Comment

Originally posted by loganj View Post
      so softap on 5ghz is available? or are they still following microsoft example of only 2ghz softap?
      i know they block their own cards on 5ghz softap but they should not block other cards too
      What are the advantages of it? Could you please elaborate on it?

Also, it would be nice to make a collaborative project with own governance, not just Intel branding everywhere.

Is this so better compared to alternatives? What's left to implement?

Comment

Wow, thanks for iwd, my pure garbage realtek 8812au actually connected to my AP with it. With wpa_supplicant connecting always resulted in error.

Comment

Still using wpa_supplicant just because it lets me to store my WiFi passwords in a plain text file.
          Last edited by StarterX4; 20 November 2022, 11:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by StarterX4 View Post
            Still using wpa_supplicant just because it lets me to store my WiFi passwords in a plain text file.
            Not sure why that would be a desirable feature, but so does iwd: https://iwd.wiki.kernel.org/networkc...twork_settings

Comment

Originally posted by loganj View Post
              You mean on Intel cards? I doubt they are following Microsoft's example.
              The lack of support for 5GHz is due to a quirk called LAR - card must be aware of other 5GHz stations prior to being able to broadcast on 5GHz.

It is possible to work around this issue by patching hostapd to scan (so that the card finds out there is a 5GHz station nearby) before initiating the access point.

Comment

updated https://t2sde.org/packages/iwd

Comment

I see that right before the release there is this change:
                  netconfig: Enable IPV6 support by default
                  I wonder what this means for privacy.
                  If the IPv6 address is derived from the MAC address and if the IPv6 support can be disabled.
                  If not, I'm not interested into using such garbage software that doesn't care about my privacy!

Comment

I'm glad IWD was made. Compared to the archaic hassle that was wpa_supplicant, IWD is clean, quick and simple. Never gave me trouble yet.

Comment

Working...
                    X