X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RejectModernity
    replied
    @C8292
    So mesa in RPMfusion does support h264, h265? I thought they didn't want to, might try it on the second PC if it's true.

Leave a comment:

• bzs0
    replied
    Originally posted by szymon_g View Post
    when will the silverblue favor be available?
    Even if an ISO hasn't been released, if you're already on silverblue / kinoite then F37 is already available as a ostree remote. Simply run

Code:
    rpm-ostree rebase fedora:fedora/37/x86_64/kinoite
    to begin the update process.

Leave a comment:

• C8292
    replied
    Google no more. h264 mesa support:

First, set up RPM Fusion repos:
    Code:
    sudo dnf install https://download1.rpmfusion.org/free/fedora/rpmfusion-free-release-$(rpm -E %fedora).noarch.rpm
    # nonfree repository is not needed, you can skip this command
    sudo dnf install https://download1.rpmfusion.org/nonfree/fedora/rpmfusion-nonfree-release-$(rpm -E %fedora).noarch.rpm

Then install mesa-va-drivers-freeworld and mesa-vdpau-drivers-freeworld
    Code:
    sudo dnf install mesa-va-drivers-freeworld mesa-vdpau-drivers-freeworld
    Alternatively, if mesa-va-drivers or mesa-vdpau-drivers are already installed, use swap instead:
    Code:
    sudo dnf swap mesa-va-drivers mesa-va-drivers-freeworld
    sudo dnf swap mesa-vdpau-drivers mesa-vdpau-drivers-freeworl​
    Please describe why this package is not eligible for Fedora ? Mesa is eligible in Fedora, however recent changes in the ecosystem have prompted Fedora to remove accelerated support for h264, h265, and vc1. Is this software redistributabl...
    Last edited by C8292; 15 November 2022, 07:09 PM.

Leave a comment:

• szymon_g
    replied
    when will the silverblue favor be available?

Leave a comment:

• Quackdoc
    replied
    Originally posted by bzs0 View Post

Been running Kinoite (the KDE spin) for a while, would love a Sway option though. An immutable base OS image has its quirks but is also quite refreshing. I'm glad that RH and SUSE (for their MicroOS) are exploring the future of desktop Linux with these attempts
    for me the biggest thing Is I just need something for my parents that is easy enough and wont brick. they would be mostly satisfied by silverblue

Leave a comment:

• ehansin
    replied
    Not really an exclusive Fedora post, but I picked up this "was high end five+ years ago" laptop at work, had just the ergonomics I wanted for a "test" machine. Installed Fedora 37 beta, but then gave Arch a run with the "archinstall" script, installing the base "gnome" package while at it.

All I can say is that Gnome has gotten a lot better since when I last gave it a go. Went from amateur looking (just the sum-total of all the (lacking) details) to a lot more polished. I am actually quite liking this.

Whether I stick to the Arch install (pros being system-boot over Grub, and also Btrfs with all mounts as Btrfs subvolumes, I think a little cleaner installation) or do a clean Fedora 37 install (I wan't to use this for some development work, and would be some advantages to Fedora for this), we will see.

But for now just wanted to give a kudos to the positve changes I have seen in Gnome since my last go around.

Leave a comment:

• bzs0
    replied
    Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post
    still waiting for a budgie spin of silverblue, Ive been wanting to try silverblue for a prolonged period of time, but find it too hassle some to work with in general, but budgie could make me tolerate it
    Been running Kinoite (the KDE spin) for a while, would love a Sway option though. An immutable base OS image has its quirks but is also quite refreshing. I'm glad that RH and SUSE (for their MicroOS) are exploring the future of desktop Linux with these attempts

Leave a comment:

• Quackdoc
    replied
    still waiting for a budgie spin of silverblue, Ive been wanting to try silverblue for a prolonged period of time, but find it too hassle some to work with in general, but budgie could make me tolerate it

Leave a comment:

• You-
    replied
    Originally posted by fitzie View Post
    Do you mean dnf5? you can get the test version here: https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/co...dnf5-unstable/ Not much to write home about. uses different cache layout, which I think is unnecessary and unfortunate.
    AFAIK the previous layout had a problem where DNF and packagekit consumers such as Gnome-Software would use different layouts so there was duplication of data. Chages were made to stop this. Not sure if that is what you are referring to.

Leave a comment:

• fitzie
    replied
    Originally posted by nadro View Post
    I use it since ~4 weeks. I didn't notice any drawbacks except one nautilus bug with context menu, so not bad release IMO. It's nice upgrade from Fedora 36.

my biggest nautilus gripe is the lack of tree view. hopefully it comes back soon, progress seems to be stopped: https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/nauti...e_requests/817

Originally posted by lethalwp View Post
    I'm also running it (since early beta). I like the cutting edge packages, even mpv-0.35 is already waiting in updates-testing.

- in previous fedora version i could just do a "yum update" in graphical mode, it worked. Yes i do this by hand.
    Since F36 or F37, a yum update often resets my wayland session+reloggin. Loosing the last "rpm script installations",
    like the mkinitrd of the kernel installs. yum-complete-transaction seems to be gone.

Fedora has had this issue for several releases, at least for me. I think it's only when the ibus package is updated.

Originally posted by mirmirmir View Post
    Rpm5 when?

Do you mean dnf5? you can get the test version here: https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/co...dnf5-unstable/ Not much to write home about. uses different cache directory, which I think is unnecessary and unfortunate.
    Last edited by fitzie; 15 November 2022, 11:45 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X