X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bug77
    replied
    Originally posted by Nth_man View Post
    It works for me in slow computers, the less places it searches on, the faster it goes.
    So then, we should restrict it from searching anything, then it will show up instantly
    Plus, I'm not talking about a slow computer, I'm talking 12600k with the OS on a 970 EVO.
    Maybe you can file a bug report.
    I've filed enough bug reports that went unattended, tyvm. (I might have filed one about this problem, too, I've given up on keeping track.)

Leave a comment:

• Nth_man
    replied
    Originally posted by bug77 View Post

I don't need to limit anything, KRunner just needs to do its searching/indexing off the rendering thread (if indeed that's the issue).
    I am actually using it quite frequently for quick calculations.
    It works for me in slow computers, the less places it searches on, the faster it goes. Maybe you can file a bug report.

Leave a comment:

• ssokolow
    replied
    Originally posted by Melcar View Post
    Welcomed fixes, but wake me up when the horrible file indexer is fixed. I have plenty of RAM, nvme and a 16 thread CPU but the resource tax from Baloo is noticeable, even after it has supposedly indexed everything. It also for some reason chews up my ssd and has jacked up my TBW count considerably in less than a year.
    And yeah, I'm also annoyed by the attitude of many developers when posting bug reports. I have for a couple of years now stopped reporting bugs because of that behavior and I see it hasn't changed.
    Honestly, I've never seen a desktop-integrated indexer that was implemented acceptably and, at least once, I ran across a bug that would switch Baloo back on, so I have @reboot balooctl disable &>/dev/null in my user crontab since something about how the Kubuntu package dependencies work prevented me from ripping it out entirely, though I can't remember what.

Leave a comment:

• bug77
    replied

Hi. KRunner, by default, searches using everything it is able to use. So you can limit that.​

It makes it faster when I try it on slow computers, instead of KRunner looking things in a lot of places, it only looks in e.g. "Applications" (and it also can use "Calculator" and "Command Line" capabilities).
    I don't need to limit anything, KRunner just needs to do its searching/indexing off the rendering thread (if indeed that's the issue).
    I am actually using it quite frequently for quick calculations.

Leave a comment:

• Melcar
    replied
    Welcomed fixes, but wake me up when the horrible file indexer is fixed. I have plenty of RAM, nvme and a 16 thread CPU but the resource tax from Baloo is noticeable, even after it has supposedly indexed everything. It also for some reason chews up my ssd and has jacked up my TBW count considerably in less than a year.
    And yeah, I'm also annoyed by the attitude of many developers when posting bug reports. I have for a couple of years now stopped reporting bugs because of that behavior and I see it hasn't changed.

Leave a comment:

• Volta
    replied
    Originally posted by Steffo View Post

Maybe you should read your own links. First link: The user did an upgrade to an 64 bit OS, but Adobe Reader (well, I don't use this crappy app), runs at 32 bit. --> Not macOS` fault.

Second link: Well, you installed some crappy Safari extensions --> Not Safari`s fault.
    Maybe you should improve your comprehension skills, because you can't read. Safari plugins are one of the possibilities and when comes to first link there may be permission problem as well. Now, go back to school.

some more 'exercises' for you:

and my favorite closed source 'solution' to the problem:

Possible Fixes for OS X Installations

You should try each, one at a time, then test to see if the problem is fixed before going on to the next.
    1. Resetting your Mac’s PRAM and NVRAM
    2. Reset the System Management Controller (SMC)
    3. Start the computer in Safe Mode, then restart normally. This is slower than a standard startup.
    4. Repair the disk by booting the from the Recovery HD. Immediately after the chime hold down the Command and R keys until the Utility Menu appears. Choose Disk Utility and click on the Continue button. Select the indented (usually, Macintosh HD) volumeentry from the side list. Click on the First Aid button in the toolbar. Wait for the Done button to appear. Quit Disk Utility and returnto the Utility Menu. Restart the computer from the Apple Menu.
    5. Reinstall OS X by booting from the Recovery HD using the Command and R keys. When the Utility Menu appears select Reinstall OS X then click on the Continue button.
    6. Erase and Install OS X Restart the computer. Immediately after the chime hold down the Command and R keys until the Apple logo appears. When the Utility Menu appears:
    Yeah, right. It will also fix hunger problems in the world..
    Last edited by Volta; 06 November 2022, 08:37 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Nth_man
    replied
    Originally posted by bug77 View Post

[...] KRunner doesn't need more features (I'll take them, now that they're added), it just needs to get rid of that huge lag before it shows up. [...]
    Hi. KRunner, by default, searches using everything it is able to use. So you can limit that.​

It makes it faster when I try it on slow computers, instead of KRunner looking things in a lot of places, it only looks in e.g. "Applications" (and it also can use "Calculator" and "Command Line" capabilities).

Leave a comment:

• Etherman
    replied
    I have this annoying problem with Okular that it pops up a pop up asking me to install Adobe every time I open a PDF from my employer. Evince did not pop up anything. The PDFs render correctly.

Can I disable this pop uping behaviour?

Leave a comment:

• bug77
    replied
    Originally posted by Steffo View Post

I have 22.08.3. I can narrow the problem: I see only a blank page with a maximized window, but when I make the window smaller, I see the content. When I maximize again, I have the same problem.
    Anyways: Next week my MacBook Air arrives. --> Problem solved.
    I've had a similar problem (but with Firefox), it went away if I disabled window animations (don't remember exactly which one).

Also, for some on-topic, KRunner doesn't need more features (I'll take them, now that they're added), it just needs to get rid of that huge lag before it shows up. Hit Alt+Space, start typing, watch your characters go to the window you were on before for a couple of seconds or so. Leads to some pretty crappy stuff if you were, say, on an Ajax-enabled web page that handles single characters (i.e. Github).

Leave a comment:

• theriddick
    replied
    If scale correctly means doing it without creating a fuzzy/blur effect on the app window then that's good.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X