KDE Prepares Smarter KRunner, Steam Scaling Better Under Plasma Wayland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
    What I can tell you is that your PDF is probably just fine. Your PDF is broken is the generic bullshit response that the KDE maintainers give out.
    To be fair, the PDF spec is quite complicated and tons of apps generate PDFs and don't really care if they break the spec as long as it works in acrobat or whatever they assume people are using. So saying the PDF is broken is probably accurate. It's just that any quality PDF viewer has to deal with broken PDFs and display things anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by ngraham View Post

Actually, that's a common misconception. Your eyepiece's field stop diameter (not focal length!) can can exceed the baffle tube's diameter by 10% with no perceptible effects whatsoever, and generally up to 25% with very minor vignetting around the extreme outer edges. I've done this myself with a 6" Mak and can confirm it. So this means you could use an eyepiece with a field stop of 42mm without noticing a thing, and go up to an eyepiece with a field stop diameter of 47.5mm without much negative effect, which means you could use the overpriced-yet-perfect-for-this-use-case Masuyama 32mm eyepiece. It would give you 64x magnification with 1.3° field of view without having to use a focal reducer. I had that eyepiece briefly but found it awful in an f/7.5. In an f/10, though, it would be very interesting indeed.
      I'm just getting into the very, very technical parts of this. I didn't know about the 10% part. The few posts I read recently seemed to be pretty hardline about the baffle limit/fstop. Granted, some people on CN seem to be very, very particular to put it nicely. I'm not that particular...at least I don't think I am...I don't have a whole lot to base that on...

Of course with a focal reducer the light cone's geometry changes so you have to reduce the effective baffle tube diameter to compehsate, leaving you with an effective diameter of only 24mm to work with. So using 1.25" eyepieces here makes sense. 125% of that for a 2" eyepiece would give you only 30mm of eyepiece field stop diameter. The best widefield 2" eyepiece at that field stop diameter is a 27mm Panoptic (30.5mm FSD), which would give you a bigger view than your 24" Pan (1.43° vs 1.27°), but indeed it's not a lot. So maybe not worth it unless you're an absurd micro-optimizer of astronomical equipment like I am! This thread may be interesting: https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/8...40mm-eyepiece/
      You just described why I got the Panoptic 24mm last month. To go beyond that would have been $500+ and, to be frank about it, I only had $400 saved up in fun shit money.

Anyway, in a perhaps silly attempt to turn this topic back to KDE, have you ever used KStars? It's just a fantastic astronomy app. It's my go-to for researching targets and figuring out how to get there (I use a manual telescope, not a go-to).
      No, but only because I don't have a laptop. I've played around with it on my desktop, but that's it. Unfortunately, my desktop is too far away from my telescope for remote controlling to be of any use so I don't use any desktop astronomy software. I generally stick with SkySafari 6 or 7 since I have an Aux-Fi adapter to control my Go-To from my phone and because I can use the app to star hop with my manual equatorial refractor (3" f11 Meade). If I had a laptop with wifi I'd probably be using Kstars to fulfill both of those roles. Yet another reason for me to get an eBay special craptop. It'd be a lot more reliable, that's for damn sure.

To put this into some perspective -- The Nexstar 8SE was a gift last year from a friend who has much deeper pockets than mine. It is so, so far out of my price range it isn't funny. For years I was happy with my $250 Meade Polaris 90 refractor I bought on sale off eBay for $150 and a $200 Meade eyepiece set.

Long story short, a year ago we were hanging out talking about geology because he used to be a science teacher, somehow the moon came up which made me mention how awesome it is to zoom in on a crater in a refractor, and that turned into my friend buying me a $1500 telescope out of nowhere. I've been slowly buying accessories since I wasn't expecting it and the equipment that I have doesn't do it justice.

I can't tell you how hard it was to drop $352 on an eyepiece that costs the same as my refractor and eyepiece set combined. Damn it was worth it. I had no idea what I was missing out on.

It looks like there's an 80% chance that I'll have cloud cover Tuesday morning. I like lunar eclipses, I have a kickass lunar viewing setup, and there's gonna be friggin clouds.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
        To be fair, the PDF spec is quite complicated and tons of apps generate PDFs and don't really care if they break the spec as long as it works in acrobat or whatever they assume people are using. So saying the PDF is broken is probably accurate. It's just that any quality PDF viewer has to deal with broken PDFs and display things anyway.
        I agree. Still, though, it doesn't help that some of the "your PDF is broken" issues were fixed by copying the right files into the right places because it wasn't packaged correctly.

Comment

If scale correctly means doing it without creating a fuzzy/blur effect on the app window then that's good.

Comment

Originally posted by Steffo View Post

I have 22.08.3. I can narrow the problem: I see only a blank page with a maximized window, but when I make the window smaller, I see the content. When I maximize again, I have the same problem.
            Anyways: Next week my MacBook Air arrives. --> Problem solved.
            I've had a similar problem (but with Firefox), it went away if I disabled window animations (don't remember exactly which one).

Also, for some on-topic, KRunner doesn't need more features (I'll take them, now that they're added), it just needs to get rid of that huge lag before it shows up. Hit Alt+Space, start typing, watch your characters go to the window you were on before for a couple of seconds or so. Leads to some pretty crappy stuff if you were, say, on an Ajax-enabled web page that handles single characters (i.e. Github).

Comment

I have this annoying problem with Okular that it pops up a pop up asking me to install Adobe every time I open a PDF from my employer. Evince did not pop up anything. The PDFs render correctly.

Can I disable this pop uping behaviour?

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

[...] KRunner doesn't need more features (I'll take them, now that they're added), it just needs to get rid of that huge lag before it shows up. [...]
                Hi. KRunner, by default, searches using everything it is able to use. So you can limit that.​

It makes it faster when I try it on slow computers, instead of KRunner looking things in a lot of places, it only looks in e.g. "Applications" (and it also can use "Calculator" and "Command Line" capabilities).

Comment

Originally posted by Steffo View Post

Maybe you should read your own links. First link: The user did an upgrade to an 64 bit OS, but Adobe Reader (well, I don't use this crappy app), runs at 32 bit. --> Not macOS` fault.

Second link: Well, you installed some crappy Safari extensions --> Not Safari`s fault.
                  Maybe you should improve your comprehension skills, because you can't read. Safari plugins are one of the possibilities and when comes to first link there may be permission problem as well. Now, go back to school.

some more 'exercises' for you:

and my favorite closed source 'solution' to the problem:

Possible Fixes for OS X Installations

You should try each, one at a time, then test to see if the problem is fixed before going on to the next.
                  1. Resetting your Mac’s PRAM and NVRAM
                  2. Reset the System Management Controller (SMC)
                  3. Start the computer in Safe Mode, then restart normally. This is slower than a standard startup.
                  4. Repair the disk by booting the from the Recovery HD. Immediately after the chime hold down the Command and R keys until the Utility Menu appears. Choose Disk Utility and click on the Continue button. Select the indented (usually, Macintosh HD) volumeentry from the side list. Click on the First Aid button in the toolbar. Wait for the Done button to appear. Quit Disk Utility and returnto the Utility Menu. Restart the computer from the Apple Menu.
                  5. Reinstall OS X by booting from the Recovery HD using the Command and R keys. When the Utility Menu appears select Reinstall OS X then click on the Continue button.
                  6. Erase and Install OS X Restart the computer. Immediately after the chime hold down the Command and R keys until the Apple logo appears. When the Utility Menu appears:
                  Yeah, right. It will also fix hunger problems in the world..
                  Last edited by Volta; 06 November 2022, 08:37 AM.

Comment

Welcomed fixes, but wake me up when the horrible file indexer is fixed. I have plenty of RAM, nvme and a 16 thread CPU but the resource tax from Baloo is noticeable, even after it has supposedly indexed everything. It also for some reason chews up my ssd and has jacked up my TBW count considerably in less than a year.
                    And yeah, I'm also annoyed by the attitude of many developers when posting bug reports. I have for a couple of years now stopped reporting bugs because of that behavior and I see it hasn't changed.

Comment

Originally posted by Nth_man View Post

Hi. KRunner, by default, searches using everything it is able to use. So you can limit that.​

It makes it faster when I try it on slow computers, instead of KRunner looking things in a lot of places, it only looks in e.g. "Applications" (and it also can use "Calculator" and "Command Line" capabilities).
                      I don't need to limit anything, KRunner just needs to do its searching/indexing off the rendering thread (if indeed that's the issue).
                      I am actually using it quite frequently for quick calculations.

Comment

Working...
                      X