Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IceWM 3.1 Released For This Fast & Simple X11 Window Manager

Phoronix: IceWM 3.1 Released For This Fast & Simple X11 Window Manager

Earlier this month marked the release of IceWM 3.0 as this X11 window manager that has been around since the late 90's. IceWM 3.1 is now available with various fixes and minor additions -- including refinements to the tabbed windows support introduced in IceWM 3.0...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Wow, two releases in such a short time! And with cool new features! It makes me seriously consider installing a GUI on my netbook

Comment

IceWM is tempting me...

Comment

By the love of god, please everybody just finally drop X11 and polish Wayland. How many more decades?

Comment

Originally posted by Kemosabe View Post
          By the love of god, please everybody just finally drop X11 and polish Wayland. How many more decades?
          Why polish a turd for a potentially unlimited number of decades when you can just use X11 now and get on with things that really matter?

Plus a flaw of Wayland is that you would need to (re)implement much of the equivalent underlying layers of Xorg in order to make a compositor that reaches feature parity with IceWM. That is why there will never be many Wayland compositors.
          Last edited by kpedersen; 24 October 2022, 02:22 PM.

Comment

I really just want to see xorg as a wayland compositor. When win10 support ends and wayland doesnt have its act together i will give ICEWM a shot. Wayland/pulseaudio/systemd made me leave linux in the first place

Comment

Because some of us really love using our computers to do real work, you know...

Comment

how many more decades before wayland has feature parity to xorg. 🤦‍♂️

Comment

Never:

gitlab.freedesktop.org/wayland/wayland/-/issues/233

Originally posted by cj.wijtmans View Post
                  I really just want to see xorg as a wayland compositor. When win10 support ends and wayland doesnt have its act together i will give ICEWM a shot. Wayland/pulseaudio/systemd made me leave linux in the first place
                  Your assessment of PA/PW is puzzling. Before them using audio in Linux was a major pain in the ass.

ALSA required you to be a programmer and a hw engineer simultaneously. Basically a hundred people in the world understand how to configure asoundrc.

Comment

Originally posted by cj.wijtmans View Post
                    Please don't come back. It is ok.

Comment

Working...
                    X