KDE Starts More Feature Work On Plasma 5.27, Fixes For Plasma 5.26

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Starts More Feature Work On Plasma 5.27, Fixes For Plasma 5.26

Phoronix: KDE Starts More Feature Work On Plasma 5.27, Fixes For Plasma 5.26

Last week saw the release of Plasma 5.26 while this week KDE developers moved on to more feature work for Plasma 5.27 while also addressing some fall-out and fixes for Plasma 5.26...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So far, I like Plasma 5.26.
    It displays well on my laptop with a 17-inch QHD display.
    Connecting the laptop to a 65-inch 4K TV via HDMI 2.1 also works well.

I would like to test the beta of KDE Plasma 5.27 under Arch.
    Have already changed the /etc/pacman.conf: and there
    [kde-unstable]
    Include = /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist
    as in this manual

But so far no beta packages of KDE Plasma 5.27 come in.
    What is the reason for this?

Have a nice weekend

Comment

Originally posted by SerialCool View Post
      So far, I like Plasma 5.26.
      It displays well on my laptop with a 17-inch QHD display.
      Connecting the laptop to a 65-inch 4K TV via HDMI 2.1 also works well.

I would like to test the beta of KDE Plasma 5.27 under Arch.
      Have already changed the /etc/pacman.conf: and there
      [kde-unstable]
      Include = /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist
      as in this manual

But so far no beta packages of KDE Plasma 5.27 come in.
      What is the reason for this?

Have a nice weekend
      Only beta releases are in kde-unstable. Beta is scheduled to be released on Thu 2023-01-19

Comment

When looking at the welcome screen of kwrite I do wonder how this is supposed to work if you do not have the classic horizontal screen layout. Shouldn't this be designed to fit as well on a mobile screen? Plasma-mobile or phosh do work quite well on phones, but all the classsic apps just do not adjust the layout dynamically. I know it is not their priority but some things like this seem to be artificial limited to desktop screens.

Comment

Are we gonna get newer UI redesigns on the desktop now like we used to say a decade ago? I think the world has changed and this now feels like a solved problem. Even Windows' interface has come to a standstill. Or is it just me that is wrong here.

Comment

Originally posted by sarfarazahmad View Post
            Are we gonna get newer UI redesigns on the desktop now like we used to say a decade ago? I think the world has changed and this now feels like a solved problem. Even Windows' interface has come to a standstill. Or is it just me that is wrong here.
            I hope redesigns for the sake of redesigns are left in the past. We had it enough with Gnome3.

Comment

Personally, I found KDE 4 to be much more refined and faster than the latest versions of KDE Plasma 5:

How come Plasma takes much longer than XFCE to login?
              I currently find both Gnome and KDE Plasma 5 slow compared to XFCE. Gnome have 50% written in JavaScript. Why?

Also systemd is very slow compared to all other init systems. And the gnome-terminal and Ansible are also extremely slow.
              I'm not a fan of Red Hat projects, ALSA and PulseAudio are crappy too.
              Red Hat engineers seem to only know JS and Python, the super slow noob code with many bugs.
              Computer engineers used to do much more qualitative work in the past.

The only Unix-like systems that are still acceptable from a qualitative point of view at the moment are:
              ​Nobara Project, Void Linux, Mint, EndeavourOS, MX Linux, NetBSD, Devuan, FreeBSD and Clear Linux

Comment

Originally posted by sarfarazahmad View Post
                As far as i remember Nate mentioned that KDE6 will be more about porting to Qt6 then changes in design.

Comment

I love Plasma, and love to see the velocity of changes, but the bugs are starting to really bite.

My plan is to help contribute back (code, documentation, bug reports), as otherwise I'll just be another voice in the sea of users who think Linux contributors grow on trees.

I really hope kwin gets a bit more polish, as it seems a bit janky still under Wayland with higher refresh rates, as well as simple things like XWayland apps seem extremely laggy/buggy when resizing (which doesn't happen with environments like Sway, but does for GNOME).

Comment

I think KDE has come a long way but for me it still remains the DE where I experience bugs for seemingly no reason, something that I basically never get on GNOME.

With that said, I still massively prefer Plasma to GNOME and hope it succeeds. I think Plasma 6 is a good opportunity to have the desktop be a Wayland first experience to just force this horrible protocol to actually start working.

Comment

Working...
                    X