X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• johanb
    replied
    Originally posted by Vorpal View Post
    I know Gnome has gone down the dumbing down route already, but that is one of the reasons I switched to KDE. This is exactly the type of thing I don't want.
    At least most Gnome apps that use hamburger menus only do so automatically when the window is very narrow. E.g AdwLeaflet and AdwFlap.

Leave a comment:

• Chugworth
    replied
    Originally posted by mirmirmir View Post
    They are lacking bugfixes lately. It should be the highest priority. This is sad.
    Given that the Linux kernel has supported high resolution scrolling since 4.21, I would consider Plasma Wayland's lack of support for it to be a bug.

I run Plasma Wayland on a daily basis though and it works quite nice for me.

Leave a comment:

• mirmirmir
    replied
    They are lacking bugfixes lately. It should be the highest priority. This is sad.

Leave a comment:

• cl333r
    replied
    - The Kate text editor's welcome screen now shows more features.
    That's why this year will be the year of the Linux Desktop.

Leave a comment:

• Chugworth
    replied
    The way I read it, the plan is to change that (possibly after reworking the menu structure), or at least it is not yet decided upon.

I would love to be proven wrong here.
    I wish KDE wasn't so opposed to adding more app functionality to the titlebar. I've been using the titlebar for app functionality since Chrome was released in 2008, and that hasn't caused any problems for me. I don't require such a huge amount of space just for the ability to drag a window around.

Leave a comment:

• Vorpal
    replied
    Originally posted by WebMac View Post

Even if you used Kate or KWrite you wouldn't be affected, since the traditional menu bar is still shown by default as the news say. But it's good to have a choice, isn't it?
    That is good. It isn't entirely clear from the blog post that that won't change in the future though:

Because these are large and complex apps, for the time being the main menubar is still shown by default, and the hamburger menu shows the entire traditional menu structure within it
    (emphasis is mine)

The way I read it, the plan is to change that (possibly after reworking the menu structure), or at least it is not yet decided upon.

I would love to be proven wrong here.

Leave a comment:

• ALRBP
    replied
    Originally posted by WebMac View Post

Even if you used Kate or KWrite you wouldn't be affected, since the traditional menu bar is still shown by default as the news say. But it's good to have a choice, isn't it?
    +1
    KDE is all about choice. Dolphin uses KHamburgerMenu since long, but a simple ctrl+M allow switching between it and good old menu bar. For the task manager, icon-only is now the default on new installs, but old ones kept icon+text (and, personally, I kept icon+test on my older main system while my newer laptops all have icon-only).

Leave a comment:

• WebMac
    replied
    At least with kwrite/Kate specifically I won't be personally affected

Leave a comment:

• Vorpal
    replied
    The screenshot of the hamburger menu on that blog looks awful. It just hides the traditional menu bar behind one extra click. Why?!?

I assume it is to save screen space but the menu bar doesn't take that much space on a desktop or laptop monitor (unlike a phone for example).

And (as the blog says) kate/kwrite are non-trivial programs. In my opinion, it doesn't make sense to do this change for those programs specifically. I know Gnome has gone down the dumbing down route already, but that is one of the reasons I switched to KDE. This is exactly the type of thing I don't want.

At least with kwrite/Kate specifically I won't be personally affected, I use VS Code instead. But I would prefer if the competition stayed competitive. Competition leads to higher pressure to innovate for all parties, leading to better products across the board. (yes this is true in FOSS too, just hopefully less vicious and more borrowing from each other).

Leave a comment:

• phoronix
    started a topic KDE Plasma Wayland Now Supports High Resolution Scrolling

KDE Plasma Wayland Now Supports High Resolution Scrolling

Phoronix: KDE Plasma Wayland Now Supports High Resolution Scrolling

The KDE Plasma Wayland session is finally supporting high resolution scroll wheel support that was engineered by Red Hat and originally supported under GNOME for allowing a smoother scrolling experience on the Linux desktop...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite
Working...
X