Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 64-bit More Competitive Against Mac OS X

Phoronix: Ubuntu 64-bit More Competitive Against Mac OS X

Last week we published Ubuntu 9.04 vs. Mac OS X 10.5.6 benchmarks where we compared the performance of these two popular operating systems on a Mac Mini. With the OS X kernel currently being 32-bit but with support for 64-bit applications, we had used the 32-bit version of Ubuntu 9.04. In a majority of the Leopard operating system from Apple outperformed Canonical's Jaunty Jackalope, but today we are adding in the results from an Ubuntu 64-bit installation. As you can see from the results, the x86_64 version of Ubuntu Linux is more competitive against Mac OS X 10.5.6.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Thanks good article! Really intressting...most ppl say there is no use in 64bit OS, only that it can use more RAM. Atleast I can point at something when I say it does perform better.

Comment

Thanks VERY much for next Ext3 benchmark... Who's interested in Ext4?

About this 'regression' fixed in 2.6.29. Regression is probably in GCC or in some library (maybe this also explains why *BSD and Open Solaris aren't performance monsters in PB) and there's only workaround in 2.6.29. If there was regression in Linux kernel many people will complain about it and Linux devs test kernel themselves. If there's even only 2% performance drop they take care of this.
      Last edited by kraftman; 18 May 2009, 05:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by conholster View Post
        Thanks good article! Really intressting...most ppl say there is no use in 64bit OS, only that it can use more RAM. Atleast I can point at something when I say it does perform better.
        The major difference (which these benchs show) is the use of SSE by default in x86_64, which is way faster than x87 floating point unit.

Comment

Lies, damned lies, and the statistics:

Seven of the 29 tests changed their winner/loser status for Ubuntu by switching from 32 to 64-bit. Six tests became winners for Ubuntu 64 and 1 became a loser.

Overall,
          12 wins for Mac OS X,
          4 wins for Ubuntu 32, and
          13 wins for Ubuntu 64.

Ubuntu 64 wins.

I think if the graphics and SQLite performance were fixed then there really wouldn't be much of a performance gap for most desktop users to care about.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmy View Post
            I think if the graphics and SQLite performance were fixed then there really wouldn't be much of a performance gap for most desktop users to care about.
            There isn't any gap in SQLite. If you switch to Ext 4 you should see a huge improvement in this test. In real world benchmarks OS X doesn't have a chance with any of Big Three (Linux, FreeBSD, Solaris). An only area where OS X is better is graphics, but probably only when you don't use binary blobs on Linux (however 2D performance should still be better on OS X).

Comment

cool but the current osx version is 10.5.7

Comment

Originally posted by Rip-Rip View Post
                The major difference (which these benchs show) is the use of SSE by default in x86_64, which is way faster than x87 floating point unit.
                Actually, 64-bit code even uses SSE2 as all x86_64 CPUs are SSE2 capable. To test your theory, one could compare a source based distro (eg. Gentoo) which was compiled with such optimization against a non-optimized distro.

That being said, encryption and video encoding tests also benefit from the additional x86_64 registers, so I expect that 32 bit code will still perform worse.

Comment

and to think that *ANY* other distro beats ubuntu hands down in performance...

Comment

Originally posted by bugmenot View Post
                    cool but the current osx version is 10.5.7
                    It would be cool to see Ubuntu x86_64 using Ext 4 (possible?) vs OS X 10.5.7 and both using same version of GCC.

Comment

Working...
                    X