Ubuntu 64-bit More Competitive Against Mac OS X

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So i guess it is proven now what i said about OpenSSL test in

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The 2.6.29 test definitely was run with 64 bit!!! Compare to:

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The speed improvement is only possible using a 64 bit build. Different kernel do not matter for that. Maybe for 3d performance + intel benchmarks. Or maybe add 2.6.29/30 tests.
    Last edited by Kano; 18 May 2009, 06:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmy View Post
      Lies, damned lies, and the statistics:

Seven of the 29 tests changed their winner/loser status for Ubuntu by switching from 32 to 64-bit. Six tests became winners for Ubuntu 64 and 1 became a loser.

Overall,
      12 wins for Mac OS X,
      4 wins for Ubuntu 32, and
      13 wins for Ubuntu 64.

Ubuntu 64 wins.

I think if the graphics and SQLite performance were fixed then there really wouldn't be much of a performance gap for most desktop users to care about.
      I am a Linux user too, but I have to admit that the 3d games benchmark is WAY MORE important than the openssl signs/second...
      Unless we don't want Linux as a gaming platform.I know I want.

Hopefully, the nasty Intel driver regression will be fixed soon and Linux on Intel graphics will outperform MAC.
      And since SQQLite regression is already fixed, soon we will be able to say that Ubuntu/Linux outperforms MAC in most aspects. Unless Snow Leopard can improve enough to keep up.

Comment

Originally posted by L4Linux View Post
        I am a Linux user too, but I have to admit that the 3d games benchmark is WAY MORE important than the openssl signs/second...

Hopefully, the nasty Intel driver regression will be fixed soon and Linux on Intel graphics will outperform MAC.
        And since SQQLite regression is already fixed, soon we will be able to say that Ubuntu/Linux outperforms MAC in most aspects. Unless Snow Leopard can improve enough to keep up.
        Yup but you aren't going afterall to buy a mac-mini or an Intel VGA for a game station. Even the 16 FPS of MacOSX make the game unplayable. The only option is ATI or NVIDIA VGA and there Linux goes very well.

Anyway, the results were not of a big surprise, Linux 64 was, is and probably will be faster than any other OS. Only one test seems strange to me. The GnuPG performance.

Last year vs today the test was:
        63.58 vs 91.86 vs 67.57 (OSX, 32bit, 64bit)
        63.92 vs 67.22 vs 85.86

Look! back then OSX was similar with 64bit Ubuntu and 32bit sucked.
        Today they changed position. 64bit sucks while 32bit approached OSX
        Someone could give me a logical explanation plz?

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
          So i guess it is proven now what i said about OpenSSL test in

The 2.6.29 test definitely was run with 64 bit!!! Compare to:

The speed improvement is only possible using a 64 bit build. Different kernel do not matter for that. Maybe for 3d performance + intel benchmarks. Or maybe add 2.6.29/30 tests.
          What's going on here?! :O

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
            Thanks VERY much for next Ext3 benchmark... Who's interested in Ext4?
            ext4 would be very interesting indeed but the current test should take place with ext3 as long as it begun with ext3. If Michael had used ext4 for 64 bit then we couldn't make a comparison between 32 and 64 since we would have two different factors (the bits and the filesystem).

Comment

Originally posted by Apopas View Post
              ext4 would be very interesting indeed but the current test should take place with ext3 as long as it begun with ext3. If Michael had used ext4 for 64 bit then we couldn't make a comparison between 32 and 64 since we would have two different factors (the bits and the filesystem).
              Yes, I just thought we'll get Ext 4 as a bonus .

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
                Yes, I just thought we'll get Ext 4 as a bonus .
                Hehehe, I'm sure we'll see ext4 benchmarks when Fedora 11 is out.

Comment

Well without the comparison urls you can never be sure if the results are really done on 32 or 64 bit.

Comment

Originally posted by L4Linux View Post
                    Chess is enough gaming entertainment for me "Gamerz" can pay the Windowz tax for all I care, though having 3D performance for things like Google Earth is nice. BTW, the gaming FPS benchmark here is pretty meaningless, other than proving that the game in question's performance is GPU-bound.

Comment

More "Competitive"?

I just went through the numbers, I may be off by won or two, but Ubuntu-64 one 15 tests, Mac 13, Ubuntu 32-bit won 1. And this includes 4 or 5 graphics tests, where there is an obvious regression in the Intel drivers.

In terms of "sweeps" (tests won by a factor two or more), I recorded 5 for mac and 4 for Ubuntu. Again, most sweeps for Mac are Graphics.

So, it looks to me as if, apart from the graphics regression, Ubuntu 64 bit performs better overall.

Comment

Working...
                      X