Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Plasma 5.26 Released With Many Great Desktop Improvements

Phoronix: KDE Plasma 5.26 Released With Many Great Desktop Improvements

The KDE community has just published Plasma 5.26 as the newest update to this open-source desktop environment and as the end of Plasma 5 feature development quickly approaches...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The plasma big screen is supposedly not available on x86-64 builds. i guess its intended for arm based platforms.

Fine, not really that interested in Big picture. But I am interested in the Mycroft integration!

Since they talk about Mycroft as a tool for intercation with Big Picture, I want to check that the Mycroft functionality is not tied to Big Picture...

Can i use the Mycroft from the standard KDE desktop on a standard x86-64 install?

Comment

But still no global menu for Wayland. That's a shame, because it irritates the people coming from MacOS (that's probably the majority of new linux users).

Comment

Originally posted by bob l'eponge View Post
        But still no global menu for Wayland. That's a shame, because it irritates the people coming from MacOS (that's probably the majority of new linux users).
        Why do you think macOS users are the majority of new Linux users? Because it's more *nix like than Windows? Because they started using something like Homebrew then decided they wanted Linux instead? I don't think that theory makes much sense.
        • The number of Windows users compared to macOS users is huge. It would be really hard for Windows users not to be the biggest contributor to the funnel.
        • Apple has built a much tighter integration across their ecosystem of devices. People tend to be less likely to jump ship when this happens.
        Imagine someone with a MacBook Pro, an iPhone, an Apple Watch, and some AirPods Pro. All of that shit works better together than any of them work with Linux. The tight integration makes the user's experience with those devices better, but even more importantly for Apple it helps with vendor lock in. The walled garden, iMessage, the whole point is keeping you loyal to Apple with your money. And it has worked really really well.

Comment

So what is the irritation I am supposed to be experiencing without it? I switched back to GNU/Linux with KDE from it as the desktop last year around Christmas time, I use the X11 desktop session and see nothing wrong with it. Unlike that Wayland which I did try with its constant switching of the main monitor on me and trying to get VLC to play an actual video, once you discover the magic settings for it to play only for it to do its monitor switching as well, seems like it is the irritant in my experience with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedibeeftrix View Post
            The plasma big screen is supposedly not available on x86-64 builds. i guess its intended for arm based platforms.

Fine, not really that interested in Big picture. But I am interested in the Mycroft integration!

Since they talk about Mycroft as a tool for intercation with Big Picture, I want to check that the Mycroft functionality is not tied to Big Picture...

Can i use the Mycroft from the standard KDE desktop on a standard x86-64 install?
            Arch Linux big screen Packages for x86-64 is available now !
            Last edited by chromer; 11 October 2022, 10:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by pWe00Iri3e7Z9lHOX2Qx View Post

Why do you think macOS users are the majority of new Linux users? Because it's more *nix like than Windows? Because they started using something like Homebrew then decided they wanted Linux instead? I don't think that theory makes much sense.
              • The number of Windows users compared to macOS users is huge. It would be really hard for Windows users not to be the biggest contributor to the funnel.
              • Apple has built a much tighter integration across their ecosystem of devices. People tend to be less likely to jump ship when this happens.
              Imagine someone with a MacBook Pro, an iPhone, an Apple Watch, and some AirPods Pro. All of that shit works better together than any of them work with Linux. The tight integration makes the user's experience with those devices better, but even more importantly for Apple it helps with vendor lock in. The walled garden, iMessage, the whole point is keeping you loyal to Apple with your money. And it has worked really really well.
              If you bought into it that heavily then you are pretty much screwed trying to switch over. I mostly used it on a Hackintosh as at the time that steaming pile of dung KDE 4 came out I was lucky enough to have tried a few Macs I had bought dirt cheap and found lacking in the power of the PowerPC chips. And the noise of them G4s at load was disgusting I liked the operating system but in the end got rid of them for tidy profit. Which I built new Intel Core 2 Duo PC with that included the exact same motherboard Apple was using to develop their Intel version of Leopard on. When I found out about the Hackintosh on them it was a simple matter of getting it running. I never went all in on it with them I always used open source applications where they could be found. In the end when I got tired of the second sabotage in a row of the old OS to force upgrade they pulled off it was simple matter to switch back. Never even lost an email as it was a simple copying over of the profile from Thunderbird and carrying on, same with Firefox too.

Comment

I am missing this on Wayland https://github.com/David-118/Breeze-Decoration-LIM. Super convenient on small screens like 15.6 laptops.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedibeeftrix View Post

if you just want to use the mycroft functions you could try the plasmoid from here: "https://github.com/KDE/mycroft-plasmoid"

Comment

Of all terrible anti-features OSX has, why copy the most terrible one.

Comment

Working...
                    X