Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GNOME-Network-Displays Available With Ubuntu 22.10 For Miracast Wireless Displays

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME-Network-Displays Available With Ubuntu 22.10 For Miracast Wireless Displays

Phoronix: GNOME-Network-Displays Available With Ubuntu 22.10 For Miracast Wireless Displays

Among the new applications becoming available with Ubuntu 22.10 "Kinetic Kudu" later this month is GNOME-Network-Displays for dealing with Miracast wireless displays...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

A DRM driver and a way to subscribe/trust a display device would be handy, so that we can have Miracast as an early kernel console display device. Then with LinuxBIOS we could work with wireless displays from power-on, without dongles. Our machines (with wifi adapters) already have the hardware capability, so the dongle is an added cost, extra attack surface, etc. It would need to store a pairing. It could keep Bluetooth pairings while it's at it. I think everyone with BT input devices is pretty tired of the PC ecosystem lagging a decade behind McOS in that regard.

Comment

Is there any ebuild for Gentoo?
      ## VGA ##
      AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
      Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Would be handy to integrate using an additional virtual display instead of "copying" a real one easily in the UI.

Comment

Due to mention of mutter and Gnome in the name, I guess this won't be as useful on other DE like KDE or Sway?

I only know of Miraclecast as another related project (it intends to support both sink and source modes, but only does one atm), but last time I looked it seemed to have stalled a bit development wise

I suppose there isn't much advantage to Miracast vs RDP, SteamPlay or other remote display solutions? Other than perhaps maybe better cross-platform compatibility with some devices? Any other alternatives you're using for this sort of thing that works well?

Comment

Originally posted by polarathene View Post
            Due to mention of mutter and Gnome in the name, I guess this won't be as useful on other DE like KDE or Sway?

I only know of Miraclecast as another related project (it intends to support both sink and source modes, but only does one atm), but last time I looked it seemed to have stalled a bit development wise

I suppose there isn't much advantage to Miracast vs RDP, SteamPlay or other remote display solutions? Other than perhaps maybe better cross-platform compatibility with some devices? Any other alternatives you're using for this sort of thing that works well?
            Shouldn't be gnome-specific since what it really means by "mutter screencast portal" is just the xdg-desktop-portal implementation of the screencast interface, for which xdg-desktop-portal-wlr should be sufficient. It's on their wiki[1], but nobody has tested it so far.

[1] https://github.com/emersion/xdg-desk...-Compatibility

Comment

KDE could really use an equivalent of this.

Comment

casting is really nice, but I would much prefer if I had a way to easily use it as a sink instead. last I checked swapping between normal usage and a miracast sink was a pain

Comment

Originally posted by polarathene View Post
                  It works on KDE. I have been using it on Fedora with my Samsung TVs.

Comment

Working...
                  X