No announcement yet.

Firefox 105 Now Available - Better Linux Performance Under Memory Pressure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Phoronix fails to report the facts once again. Better behavior when Firefox / OS is running out of memory is not a performance improvement in most cases nor for very many people. We don't run out of memory on a daily basis. It is also not a significant improvement especially when it isn't backed up with benchmarks.

Comment

Originally posted by PAUL007 View Post
      2022 Still dosen't have hardware accel on nvidia . prime-run firefox , u get WebRenderer(software) .
      There is an issue for that, and I follow it at

in the case you didn't know it already. Let's hope for a fix.

Comment

Originally posted by jntesteves View Post

No, not instead of. Mozilla has invested many years of engineering work into reducing memory consumption of Firefox. They can do both.
        It still uses a ridiculous amount of RAM per tab, though.

Comment

Originally posted by PAUL007 View Post
          2022 Still dosen't have hardware accel on nvidia . prime-run firefox , u get WebRenderer(software) .
          Same on AMD, at least for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
            Cool!
            But have they enabled video hardware acceleration by default now?
            Not yet, but enabling it manually is no longer broken.
            Wayland
            Not yet.
            and Webrender
            Seems to be enabled by default for me here.
            is is enabled by default now?
            Or do we still have to enable all manually?
            The update to it is not available yet to test it myself.

Comment

Updated: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQGHJisl9WU

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

It still uses a ridiculous amount of RAM per tab, though.
                Subjective opinion. Compared to what? A very vocal few still stuck in the early 10s with only 4GB of system RAM? People that don't clean up their open tabs (moot point, FF doesn't load the contents till they're brought to the front)? Chrome? Safari? If you're running out of RAM such that you're under memory pressure, you don't have enough RAM for whatever you're doing with your system. Yes, it's just that simple. It appears the vast majority of Firefox users just aren't 'abusing' Firefox in the way a handful are apparently doing so to have problems with its resource utilization. If you're going by top-like programs, those memory metrics aren't the whole story, especially if you don't know what they're actually reporting (hint, it's probably not what you think it is, example for those that report allocation it's not the same thing as active utilization.)

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Firefox used to be pretty good wrt memory management. Back then, people were bashing it for not following Chrome and run a JS interpreter per tab. Well, today it does. And people bash it for running a JS interpreter per tab and chewing through RAM, just as fast as Chrome does.
                  I've been using Pale Moon quite a bit recently. It permanently forked off from Firefox code at about version 52, and still is a single process browser. You are correct in that the amount of memory used is substantially less than modern Firefox. It's also a stable amount of memory, as in it doesn't balloon out of control over time like Firefox often does.

Another Firefox fork I've found that uses noticeably less memory than Firefox is Librewolf, but I'm not sure why. I need to investigate its memory settings further.

Comment

Originally posted by curfew View Post
                    Phoronix fails to report the facts once again. Better behavior when Firefox / OS is running out of memory is not a performance improvement in most cases nor for very many people. We don't run out of memory on a daily basis. It is also not a significant improvement especially when it isn't backed up with benchmarks.
                    Calm down, this article is just about the release announcement. Michael tends to benchmark Firefox once or twice a year, he'll show you some results soon enough.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
                      Michael tends to benchmark Firefox once or twice a year, he'll show you some results soon enough.
                      I really hope we see some historical POV on it. Ex: Firefox 105 vs Firefox 92 vs Firefox 71.(I randomly picked version numbers)

Singular benchmarks are completely useless - Firefox got a 10,000 on Selenium. So what does that mean? And benchmarks against Chrome are not particularly helpful either. We already know going in right now, Chrome is going to be faster. We know. We get it. How does Firefox stack up against itself on Linux over a few years? That's the most useful information to display.

Oh, Firefox 71 got a 6,000 on Selenium and FF92 got what? Very useful comparisons here.
                      Last edited by ezst036; 20 September 2022, 09:28 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X