KDE Plasma 5.26 Beta Week Saw More Fixes To The Plasma Wayland Session

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Grinness View Post

I just installed MPV (Archlinux official package)

Under KDE 5.25.5 + Wyaland I have enabled 'Show on all Desktops' and 'Keep Above Others' (right click on app bar, select 'More Actions" and tick the option)
    All is working as espected: video is on all desktops and above all other apps -- I am actually writing this while I have MVP playing a movie.

There is no step back (nor lack of freedom or .... ) -- only the time required for a 'Bazar model' (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ca...and_the_Bazaar) to adopt and implement the standard (aka wayland protocol)
    I am talking about MPVs always ontop feature, not using the compositor specific features

Comment

I just installed MPV (Archlinux official package)

Under KDE 5.25.5 + Wyaland I have enabled 'Show on all Desktops' and 'Keep Above Others' (right click on app bar, select 'More Actions" and tick the option)
      All is working as espected: video is on all desktops and above all other apps -- I am actually writing this while I have MVP playing a movie.

There is no step back (nor lack of freedom or .... ) -- only the time required for a 'Bazar model' (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ca...and_the_Bazaar) to adopt and implement the standard (aka wayland protocol)
      ... for the records, I just used 'Spectacle' to take a screenshot of MPV playing a video.
      And surprise surprise, all working as espected -- I have screenshot containing the frame/picture of the video playing in MPV ...

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post

I am talking about MPVs always ontop feature, not using the compositor specific features
        Then Kwin allows to do that even if MPV does not implement it ... I would say that this is actually directly countering your statement about segmentation.
        The compositor is doing properly its job, taking it off the app (that is not supposed to handle compositing, but just playing the video)

Comment

Then Kwin allows to do that even if MPV does not implement it ... I would say that this is actually directly countering your statement about segmentation.
          The compositor is doing properly its job, taking it off the app (that is not supposed to handle compositing, but just playing the video)
          And that's the lack of freedom I'm talking about. it's none of the business My display server to determine what I can or cannot do. I don't care if kwin implements it. I care that my app cannot feasibly implement it.

you should not have to force a user to go out of their way for a future you used to implement. like I said MPV is just one specific thing, that is easily replicatble.

this is Wayland arbitrarily restricting app and user freedom. instead of implementing the feature in a way that could possibly be safe maybe a toggle inside of the compositor. they decide to outright say no to it.

also I'm not sure how on earth relying on a composite or specific feature prevents fragmentation. That's the definition of fragmentation. everyone implementing their own way of doing things.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post

And that's the lack of freedom I'm talking about. it's none of the business My display server to determine what I can or cannot do. I don't care if kwin implements it. I care that my app cannot feasibly implement it.

you should not have to force a user to go out of their way for a future you used to implement. like I said MPV is just one specific thing, that is easily replicatble.

this is Wayland arbitrarily restricting app and user freedom. instead of implementing the feature in a way that could possibly be safe maybe a toggle inside of the compositor. they decide to outright say no to it.

also I'm not sure how on earth relying on a composite or specific feature prevents fragmentation. That's the definition of fragmentation. everyone implementing their own way of doing things.
            ... and you are on the wrong path ... this is not lack of 'freedom' ... you have all the freedom to implement a display manager (not a display server) that implements the standard ... your movie player app has nothing to do with it -- or you want 'the freedom to implement the kenel acpi interfaces in your app too?

Wayland prevents fragmentation because defines the standards for the various functionalities/components for the desktop stack.
            Fragmentation is your app implementing the X11 -- desktop composition -- part of the whole desktop stack .....

Comment

... and you are on the wrong path ... this is not lack of 'freedom' ... you have all the freedom to implement a display manager (not a display server) that implements the standard ... your movie player app has nothing to do with it -- or you want 'the freedom to implement the kenel acpi interfaces in your app too?

Wayland prevents fragmentation because defines the standards for the various functionalities/components for the desktop stack.
              Fragmentation is your app implementing the X11 -- desktop composition -- part of the whole desktop stack .....
              is this a joke? I just gave multiple examples of fragmentation, or things that cannot implement features due to fragmentation... bruh, at least read what I comment before replying

Comment

Originally posted by HellToupee View Post

What do you think happens when X.org crashes? All your apps go with it.
                Hardly ever happens because it doesn't run a compositor in the same process.

Comment

Originally posted by guglovich View Post

Setting the compression level, for example. Encrypted archives.
                  What about Packuru? https://gitlab.com/kyeastmood/packuru

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
                    Looks good, too bad nobody added it to the repository.

Comment

Originally posted by guglovich View Post

Looks good, too bad nobody added it to the repository.
                      You can compile it easily.

Comment

Working...
                      X