KDE Plasma 5.26 Beta Week Saw More Fixes To The Plasma Wayland Session

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Plasma 5.26 Beta Week Saw More Fixes To The Plasma Wayland Session

Phoronix: KDE Plasma 5.26 Beta Week Saw More Fixes To The Plasma Wayland Session

While Plasma 5.26 beta released this week, KDE developers didn't kick back and relax but have pressed on with continuing to make improvements to this open-source desktop environment...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I can't wait for Xwayland to get some fixes for display scaling and such, it would be such a perfect combination with the improving Wayland support from KDE. Their 5.25 session is already pretty nice as a daily driver.

Although, I think that's a bit iffy, since X wasn't really made for it. Maybe It could be done by somehow linking up multiple X servers, with each one on its own display? That probably includes some problems of its own.

*sigh*, I just wish more devs would start porting their apps to native Wayland already. It's pretty broken, security wise, and more efficient. But *nooooooooooo*, we have to have NVIDIA out here screwing things up for everyone, and some stubborn developers (on both sides).

Comment

I've been using KDE Plasma 5.26 Beta on Archlinux during the last 24 hours and I still haven't found any bugs beyond a few lines not translated into my local language.

​

Comment

Starting to seem like 'fixing wayland' is the same as trying to bail out water from a boat that has a hole in it, no matter how much you bail out, you never stop sinking until someone fixes the hole. And it's like wayland, being the boat in the metaphor, was designed to be a boat with a hole in it. Came like that from the manufacturer, and the manufacturer did absolutely everything within their power to make sure the hole cannot be plugged.

I'm curious why devs are honestly even dealing with this shit.

Replacing X with something better is a very worthwhile effort, and sure we do need that, problem is, wayland is not better than X, that's the real kicker.

Comment

Originally posted by rabcor View Post
          Starting to seem like 'fixing wayland' is the same as trying to bail out water from a boat that has a hole in it... continues
          It's vastly superior to X, especially in how it handles multiple monitors and security. I can go into detail on everything that Wayland does better than X, but I would rather not.

To sum it up:

X is a dinosaur, and it wasn't made for modern workflows, such as mixed refresh rate setups, HiDPI, and modern (from our POV) security. It requires tons of patches to even stand.
          I can put a non-root executable on anybodys system, and capture their X keypresses, screen, and probably more. Now I can steal your Netflix account! Wayland prevents that by design. (Xwayland is still affected, since it's an X server, but I can't capture native Wayland windows.)

And who knows what issues X has better than the X devs themselves? Wayland is basically the "x12" that people that hate Wayland have been calling for. Wayland was made by the X devs *because* of the issues that X has.

Wayland is also more efficient than X, *even with* its forced compositing. This makes it perfect for mobile devices, such as the Steam Deck.

If devs don't deal with Wayland now in a positive way, it's going to be the same issue that it's been for years now. There's nobody adopting Wayland, so nobody builds for it. This isn't like how PipeWire tells devs to not code directly for it if they don't need to. X itself has design issues that Wayland doesn't, and it's coming back and biting us in the behind.

Comment

I also seem to have made some grammar typos in my first message. I meant that X is pretty broken, security wise, and less efficient

Comment

Linux archivers already have problems with the UX, but KDE decided that they could make it even worse.

Comment

Been using plasma 5.25 as daily driver on wayland and it was been awesome. very very very very ocasional plasma crash.

amd graphics, which helps I think.

Can't wait for 5.26 goodies!

Comment

Wayland is available by proprietary drivers on PLASMA?

Comment

Originally posted by rabcor View Post
                    Starting to seem like 'fixing wayland' is the same as trying to bail out water from a boat that has a hole in it, no matter how much you bail out, you never stop sinking until someone fixes the hole. And it's like wayland, being the boat in the metaphor, was designed to be a boat with a hole in it. Came like that from the manufacturer, and the manufacturer did absolutely everything within their power to make sure the hole cannot be plugged.

I'm curious why devs are honestly even dealing with this shit.

Replacing X with something better is a very worthwhile effort, and sure we do need that, problem is, wayland is not better than X, that's the real kicker.
                    Wayland is less that of a boat, more of a regulation for a boat. Don't blame government because your leaky boat keeps leaking while the crew changing one part at a time to follow the regulations, and also the boat master set it sails, even knowing all that. Because boat master knows that their customer is dumb, blame others because they can't admit stupid decision they made.

Comment

Working...
                    X