KDE Plasma 5.26 Beta Released With New "Plasma Bigscreen" Interface For TVs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
    Gnome Shell is actually quite nice and fully configurable via extensions, it's just the ego of the Gnome applications developers and the vocal part of their community that's unbearable.
    I don't think the extensions model is sustainable. I did use Gnome for a good while, and got it configured mostly to my wishes using extensions, and it was quite good. But then a Gnome subversion update later, half of the extension did not work anymore or were abandoned. I got used to another set of extensions with similar features, until those broke as well. Eventually I got back to KDE (which is good enough on wayland).

There is unfortunately no economic reward in maintaining an extension and the Gnome API is breaking too often. Until the Gnome team itself maintain some extensions (a form of hidden possible configuration) or there is a viable ecosystem of extensions, I unfortunately don't see extensions as a viable substitute.

Comment

Had a good laugh at this as a Gnome User.
      Gnome just works on TV , because their is no clutter in the first place, I use it daily on my TV, with 200% scaling. Just get a small Bluetooth keyboard with built-in track pad. I tried the FireTV and Samsung Smart TV thing, Gnome is just so much better. And this KDE FireTV Knockoff is probably even worse.

I don't get this at all, there are probably just a few applications which will even run in this mode or it will be horrible to use non-optimized applications and it isn't really more convenient than a good designed desktop.

Comment

Originally posted by NeoMorpheus View Post
        KDE seems to be doing a lot more positive work than Gnome. I wonder if that might be why Valve went with them with Steam OS3.
        I was thinking kind of the inverse, where KDE is doing positive work because of Valve's involvement. KDE really started picking up speed in the past couple years, and I don't think that's a coincidence.

Comment

Can the Aura Browser run extensions like uBlock Origin? I wonder how difficult it would be to patch something like that into it

Comment

Originally posted by davibu View Post
            Had a good laugh at this as a Gnome User.
            Gnome just works on TV , because their is no clutter in the first place, I use it daily on my TV, with 200% scaling. Just get a small Bluetooth keyboard with built-in track pad. I tried the FireTV and Samsung Smart TV thing, Gnome is just so much better. And this KDE FireTV Knockoff is probably even worse.

I don't get this at all, there are probably just a few applications which will even run in this mode or it will be horrible to use non-optimized applications and it isn't really more convenient than a good designed desktop.
            The same basic interaction pattern challenges that most people have with vanilla GNOME on the desktop impact use on TVs / home theater PCs as well. I can deal with tiling window managers, spartan experiences, etc. on my personal systems. On a TV, I need my wife and young children to find the experience intuitive.
            • No option to at a minimum keep the dash always visible really challenges discoverability.
            • How do you make games easy to launch? They might not even all fit reasonably pinned in the dash. You have this GIGANTIC desktop space sitting there on a TV screen completely empty, where people have been trained over decades of using computers that shortcuts could go.
              • Same as above but for file shares
              • Other ways around this like using the Steam system tray icon aren't possible either natively

I think you still end up needing the exact same extensions for GNOME to be intuitive on a TV as you do on a desktop.
            1. Either dash-to-panel or dash-to-dock (most critical)
            2. Desktop Icons NG (not always necessary if all launchers fit in your preferred choice from number 1 above)
            3. Potentially appindicator for interacting with system tray icons like Steam

Comment

I really like KDE Plasma for using by default a familiar traditional Windows-like layout, being fast and extremely customizable!
              But what I like the most is the awesome attitude of KDE developers that try to make everyone happy, even though it puts additional burden on maintenance.
              Congratulations and many thanks for that!

Comment

If they're not careful, Plasma might have all the features of pre-Plasma 4. My guess is they'll all jump to 6 and leave 5 abandoned.

Comment

as much as I want this to succeed it's quite honestly not good at all. the app ecosystem is junk imo, no idea why they decided to go the route they did. the apps look and feel clunky.

maybe this will be a lot better when I finally release my androidtv script for waydroid. they could perhaps integrate that somehow and make it better. but I dunno, I was excited for it but man... it's just not good any of the times I have tested it, nor do I think the direction of the people behind it will take it in a good direction. for now ill still just stick with androidTV even if it's a fair bit buggy

Comment

Originally posted by davibu View Post
                    Just get a small Bluetooth keyboard with built-in track pad.
                    if it cannot be controlled with a simple remote, it isn't a good experience for the vast majority of people, "remote keyboard mice" combos are nearly all clunky and overall a bad experience. unless you have carefully laid out UI or are a power user.

if I need to use a keyboard, it's bad, if I need to use a mouse or trackpad or whatever, it's bad

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post

YET ANOTHER WEB BROWSER AT KDE? WTF? Falkon and Angelfish aren't enough? Especially Angelfish has three different GUIs already (mobile, tablet, and desktop). Adding a TV GUI to that should be more beneficial than creating another browser. At least that would increase the chance of one somewhat fully featured browser which I prefer over three barebones ones.
                    TV's need their own browsers because it's an entirely different control paradigm. you have to consider things like arrow key cursors, joysticks, gamepad interaction so on and so forth, is not a simple task. (which is why there are no good browsers for android TV even imo)​

Comment

I currently use Gnome on my TV even though I dont generally like it, looking forward to seeing how this works.

Comment

Working...
                      X