KDE Plasma 5.26 Beta Released With New "Plasma Bigscreen" Interface For TVs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by guspitts View Post

I don't think the extensions model is sustainable. I did use Gnome for a good while, and got it configured mostly to my wishes using extensions, and it was quite good. But then a Gnome subversion update later, half of the extension did not work anymore or were abandoned. I got used to another set of extensions with similar features, until those broke as well. Eventually I got back to KDE (which is good enough on wayland).

There is unfortunately no economic reward in maintaining an extension and the Gnome API is breaking too often. Until the Gnome team itself maintain some extensions (a form of hidden possible configuration) or there is a viable ecosystem of extensions, I unfortunately don't see extensions as a viable substitute.
    Exactly! I don't want to depend on third-party extensions for any core desktop functionality. They could affect stability, security, and have a high chance of breaking with a future update.

Comment

Originally posted by NeoMorpheus View Post
      KDE seems to be doing a lot more positive work than Gnome. I wonder if that might be why Valve went with them with Steam OS3.
      I've been a gnome user for the last couple of years, I move between them every few years. Gnome started the wayland transition way ahead of KDE and has been way ahead with a stable implementation. I get the feeling that only now Plasma is ready for Wayland. Gnome has done a lot more for the wayland transition than KDE Plasma. So remember that when weighing up the pros and cons of each project. KDE has more pragmatic features. E.g. controlling touchpad scroll speed ("auto-scroll" to windows users). libinput can configure it, but gnome after all this time still does not expose any setting.

the xwayland scaling flexibility could be a killer feature for some users, and gnome is I think never going to do down that path because Gnome doesn't like fractional scaling, and for integer scaling, it already looks after xwayland hidpi.
      If 'tablet input mapping' means I can connect an external touch screen display and have the touch events go to that screen, big bonus. In gnome, they go to the laptop's built-in screen. can't wait for the new release of kde neon, which should land in time for 5.26 release.

Comment

. I get the feeling that only now Plasma is ready for Wayland. Gnome has done a lot more for the wayland transition than KDE Plasma. So remember that when weighing up the pros and cons of each project.
        I think You meant KDE didn’t punish their uses with forcing Alpha software as the defaults pretending like everything is ready with Wayland several years to early

Comment

Originally posted by tebruno99 View Post

I think You meant KDE didn’t punish their uses with forcing Alpha software as the defaults pretending like everything is ready with Wayland several years to early
          I would prefer myself if we could just stick with x11 myself, it may be on it's deathbed, but wayland doesn't even support the features I need.

Comment

Originally posted by tebruno99 View Post

You mean, gnome made it ready for plasma to follow. And even they has gnome as a proper example. Plasma keeps releasing alpha version of Wayland, like KDE devs don't care on releasing a proper implementation. They just want to flood news with "Wayland fixes", which in gnome didn't do because of lengthy process to make sure everything works properly. It's a standard that KDE don't have.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post
              V's need their own browsers because it's an entirely different control paradigm. you have to consider things like arrow key cursors, joysticks, gamepad interaction so on and so forth, is not a simple task. (which is why there are no good browsers for android TV even imo)​
              You obviously did not read the comment properly you've replied to. I've already wrote that a fourth, TV-compliant GUI, could be added to Angelfish. It's all QML and Kirigami2 anyway. So no, there is no need to develop yet another browser just because of a TV GUI.

Comment

Originally posted by guspitts View Post
                I don't think the extensions model is sustainable. I did use Gnome for a good while, and got it configured mostly to my wishes using extensions, and it was quite good. But then a Gnome subversion update later, half of the extension did not work anymore
                They stop working because they have a max. version line somewhere in the metadata. That doesn't mean that an extension is incompatible on a technical level. I also explicitly mentioned that Dash to Panel is well maintained because of this.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post

You obviously did not read the comment properly you've replied to. I've already wrote that a fourth, TV-compliant GUI, could be added to Angelfish. It's all QML and Kirigami2 anyway. So no, there is no need to develop yet another browser just because of a TV GUI.
                  it's not so simple as gluing a new control design onto an existing browser. that's how you get stupid bugs

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post
                    it's not so simple as gluing a new control design onto an existing browser. that's how you get stupid bugs
                    Plasma Bigscreen is gluing a new control design onto an existing desktop. That's what QtQuick/QML/Kirigami are for! As I already wrote: Angelfish already has three GUIs.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
                      Plasma Bigscreen is gluing a new control design onto an existing desktop. That's what QtQuick/QML/Kirigami are for! As I already wrote: Angelfish already has three GUIs.
                      First of all, Angelfish doesn't implement different control schemes. it's just a "reactive" gui. second of all, I already stated that I think plasma bigscreen as a whole is flawed.

Comment

Working...
                      X