KDE 4.3 Beta 1 Released, Many Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hax0r View Post
    Not much has changed performance wise, apps are still slow to startup e.g kate, RAM usage hasn't come down, and logging out remains problematic and & resource intense process, why can't this damn thing log out in reasonable time 1~2 sec? Massif'ing few apps reveals LOTS of heap memory leaks all over the place, simple apps such as kmix end up chugging 20MB once they stumble upon problematic libs such xine that is known for leaking memory very bad. Besides few visual glitches it runs pretty good in the end . With git noueveau, git drm & KMS on, git xorg, git mesa, I get a full blown DE with RAM usage ~170MB (indexing disabled plus few other things) on x86_64. Once they patch the leaks they can easily get down to ~130MB just like GNOME.
    With Qt and GTK+ libs loaded I can start Konsole much faster than Gnome-Terminal, but it is like 3s vs 1s.

KDE 4 has only 18 months of life, compared to Gnome 2 which has, hmm, 84 months, they have had much more time to optimize the code.

It is natural to see a bit more RAM usage (~30% in you case). But this is not only 30% it is 40MB more. One GB DDR isn't so expensive as 10 years ago. There is no point to compare this little difference in RAM usage, come one...

Comment

I don't see much difference between Gnome and KDE4 on my system RAM-wise, except that KDE4 is faster; the GUI just seems snappier. And looks much better, of course. Gnome looks a bit "yesterday".

Comment

Can't we have a discussion on DEs without it turning into another GNOME vs. KDE pissing match? Please? Yes, we all know that KDE sucks, and that GNOME sucks too. It's like a broken record now.

Comment

As is the Delegate from the United Federation of DEs popping in, telling us about it.

Comment

Originally posted by KDesk View Post
            KDE 4 has only 18 months of life, compared to Gnome 2 which has, hmm, 84 months, they have had much more time to optimize the code.
            I still don't understand why so much of KDE3 had to be gutted and reimplemented from the ground up. Is it going to be this way with KDE 5 or will the APIs be friendly enough that applications can be migrated without the rewritten from scratch feel that's just now starting to diminish a year+ after release?

Originally posted by Melcar
            Can't we have a discussion on DEs without it turning into another GNOME vs. KDE pissing match? Please? Yes, we all know that KDE sucks, and that GNOME sucks too. It's like a broken record now.
            I'm with you there. KDE 3.x vs KDE 4.x is enough discussion material for me. Couldn't care less about Gnome and their ass backwards file selector.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmy View Post
              I still don't understand why so much of KDE3 had to be gutted and reimplemented from the ground up. Is it going to be this way with KDE 5 or will the APIs be friendly enough that applications can be migrated without the rewritten from scratch feel that's just now starting to diminish a year+ after release?
              Looking at Vista, Windows 7 and OS X, it's clear something had do be done. Gnome decided not to address the issue, KDE decided it had to. I'm happy they did. With all due respect to what KDE 3 and Gnome accomplished, they're old now. I want the "nex-gen" stuff, and KDE 4 delivers it.

Comment

Well KDE 4 has got some weird errors, did anybody try to add 2 or more keyboard layouts? Like when you have got german + us layout then you can switch with a flag symbol. In theory thats work, but when you run for example Firefox then you can not press AltGr (right Alt) + Q to get the @ in german layout. That was in all 4.2.x releases i tried, did not try 4.3 yet.

Comment

Alt+Shift works great here.

Comment

Comparing RAM usage between Gnome and KDE doesn't make much sense if you don't know exactly and in detail what's causing the RAM usage. Moreover the features offered are really really different between the twos...
                    Here's an interesting blog post about RAM usage:

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                      Well KDE 4 has got some weird errors, did anybody try to add 2 or more keyboard layouts? Like when you have got german + us layout then you can switch with a flag symbol. In theory thats work, but when you run for example Firefox then you can not press AltGr (right Alt) + Q to get the @ in german layout. That was in all 4.2.x releases i tried, did not try 4.3 yet.
                      That's a really specific thing: I could list tons of issues like that for Gnome too. Have you reported it? Did someone reply to you? What did they reply?

Comment

Working...
                      X