KDE 4.3 Beta 1 Released, Many Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kano View Post
    Well KDE 4 has got some weird errors, did anybody try to add 2 or more keyboard layouts? Like when you have got german + us layout then you can switch with a flag symbol. In theory thats work, but when you run for example Firefox then you can not press AltGr (right Alt) + Q to get the @ in german layout. That was in all 4.2.x releases i tried, did not try 4.3 yet.
    That's why I prefer clean QT environment, but it's almost impossible to get rid of Gtk yet.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
      I want the "nex-gen" stuff, and KDE 4 delivers it.
      I don't care what generation your seg faults and missing features are from.

Comment

What seg faults and missing features? It seems like KDE 4.2 already had more features than gnome has ever had.

BTW im running Amarok 2.1 beta2~ and it already consumes less than half the memory that Amarok 2.0.x did (~45mb)

Progress is awesome and KDE is definitely leading the way at the moment (though konqueror is bit behind the times, but it's getting there at least hopefully). Frankly can't wait what kind of disaster gnome 3.0 will be...I think it will teach a good lesson to all kde 4.x (especially to .0) bashers...

Comment

How long should I wait for the final release ?

And does this bring back the old skool KDE 3.5.9 features everybody misses, like K3B, Kaffeine, ability to set different background for each virtual desktop, etc ?

Comment

K3B works just fine. Kaffeine also works just fine but is a joke, you can't compare that piece of crap to SMPlayer... Different backgrounds is hardly something "everybody misses".

Comment

Originally posted by MetalheadGautham View Post
              How long should I wait for the final release ?

And does this bring back the old skool KDE 3.5.9 features everybody misses, like K3B, Kaffeine, ability to set different background for each virtual desktop, etc ?
              Regarding K3B it's in alpha now:

However I must say it's quite usable.

Kaffeine is in pre-1:

However I don't use it because I find myself very comfortable with Qt4's VLC.

Regarding different background for each virtual desktop: yes, it's fixed in 4.3, and 4.2 actually had a manual workaround too.
              if you have kde trunk or the betas you may be interested in the fact that you can actually link a specific activity to a virtual desktop this has been

Comment

Multimonitor support in KDE4 is much better than anything I've ever used.

Separate wallpapers for each monitor, separate taskbar for each monitor, and windows confined to certain monitors.

Comment

So I'm using my shiny new KDE 4.3 desktop right now. Seems awesome so far. Lots of little things seem more polished.
                  Also seems pretty stable for a beta, but I've not used it for a long enough period to really tell I guess.
                  I'll even try and give Konqueror another go as my day-to-day webbrowser, though experience says I'll probably switch over to firefox in a few days again. :P
                  Originally posted by Jimmy View Post
                  I still don't understand why so much of KDE3 had to be gutted and reimplemented from the ground up. Is it going to be this way with KDE 5 or will the APIs be friendly enough that applications can be migrated without the rewritten from scratch feel that's just now starting to diminish a year+ after release?
                  Yep, it's already been stated by Trolltech that Qt 5 wont be such a big redesign as QT 4 was.
                  Originally posted by Jimmy View Post
                  I'm with you there. KDE 3.x vs KDE 4.x is enough discussion material for me. Couldn't care less about Gnome and their ass backwards file selector.
                  Yeah, that's helping. :P

Comment

Working...
                  X