GNOME Shell & Mutter 43 Release Candidates Bring Last Minute Changes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by user1 View Post
    I feel like triple buffering will never get upstreamed..
    are there any good benchmarks on this?

It was pointed out somewhere the last big comparison was flawed as it had different framepointer settings on the main branch compared to the patched mutter, which would skew the results.

Comment

Originally posted by You- View Post

are there any good benchmarks on this?

It was pointed out somewhere the last big comparison was flawed as it had different framepointer settings on the main branch compared to the patched mutter, which would skew the results.
      I don't have any benchmarks, but Gnome certainly felt smoother on my 144Hz display after upgrading to Ubuntu 22.04 (which includes the triple buffering patch).

Comment

Originally posted by QwertyChouskie View Post

I don't have any benchmarks, but Gnome certainly felt smoother on my 144Hz display after upgrading to Ubuntu 22.04 (which includes the triple buffering patch).
        Wow, you're running a 144Hz display on an Intel iGPU?

Comment

Running the triple buffering copr repository on Fedora 36 here.
          But it doesn't feel any snappier here.

Comment

Originally posted by Amaranth View Post

Wow, you're running a 144Hz display on an Intel iGPU?
            Vega 8 iGPU (laptop hybrid graphics setup, only games and such run on the dGPU).

Comment

GDM3 still uses GTK 3 and hasn't been ported to GTK 4, there needs to be a GDM4.

I still cannot run GNOME without legacy XWayland and X.Org Server installed even though I only want to use Wayland because the package "gnome-session" still depends on xorg packages.

Comment

Originally posted by ezst036 View Post

Triple buffering increases performance/responsiveness right?
                It can increase throughput (frames per second) in some cases, resulting in smoother animation. It can't improve responsiveness however. In fact, it can hurt responsiveness if not implemented carefully (this was an issue with the mutter MR for a long time, it's supposed to be better now though).

Comment

Working...
                X