PipeWire 0.3.57 Adds AAC Decoder, Opus For Bluetooth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Zeioth View Post
    Terrific work is been done with the Zoom, application. Last time I used it, less than one year ago, audio was not working at all.
    Zoom runs smoothly on pipewire 0.3.55 on Fedora 36 when talking to a customer.

Comment

oh man I really love pipewire, audio has become so much more manageable since i started using it; I also don't have to run third party applications in the background to play midi files anymore (which helps when I play old games)

It's such a huge improvement over pulse it's not even funny

Comment

Originally posted by rabcor View Post
        oh man I really love pipewire, audio has become so much more manageable since i started using it; I also don't have to run third party applications in the background to play midi files anymore (which helps when I play old games)

all i wish for was an easier way to set bit rate and sample rate. windows its so stupid easy to do. linux its unnecessarily complex.

Comment

Hahaha, i abandoned my Opus A2DP work and boom, somebody else goes and does it...

Comment

Pipewire also simply feels much more reliable to me. Notice that this release has some fix for wrong sample rates. On Pulseaudio, when I had a wrong sample rate in some cases, everything sounded a few octaves lower like in slo mo. I did notice that with the few previous version of Pipewire my DAC behavior has been changing when it comes to sample rates, but everything still sounded properly unlike with Pulseaudio.

Comment

Originally posted by middy View Post
              all i wish for was an easier way to set bit rate and sample rate. windows its so stupid easy to do. linux its unnecessarily complex.
              it is easy, literally just type the default sample rate in one of the pipewire config files, /etc/pipewire/pipewire.conf for system-wide.

By default (I think, I think the defaults right now have by default sample rate switching on) sample rates of 44100 and 48000 are allowed. you can add in more sample rates as you please (although I did my research, there's really no point going above 44100khz, to a human ear there is no discernable difference between 44100khz and 192000khz); you can also set the actual default clock rate to one of those values (default 48000) but the sample rate is always supposed to be set by the audio source, not pipewire.

You can also force the sample rate with pw-metadata -n settings 0 clock.force-rate but honestly you shouldn't have any reason to ever do this.

In short, it's just a setting in a config file, it's stupid easy, no more difficult than in windows. Unlike windows however it is a lot more flexible though, which is a good thing.

Comment

it is easy, literally just type the default sample rate in one of the pipewire config files, /etc/pipewire/pipewire.conf for system-wide.

By default (I think, I think the defaults right now have by default sample rate switching on) sample rates of 44100 and 48000 are allowed. you can add in more sample rates as you please (although I did my research, there's really no point going above 44100khz, to a human ear there is no discernable difference between 44100khz and 192000khz); you can also set the actual default clock rate to one of those values (default 48000) but the sample rate is always supposed to be set by the audio source, not pipewire.

You can also force the sample rate with pw-metadata -n settings 0 clock.force-rate but honestly you shouldn't have any reason to ever do this.

In short, it's just a setting in a config file, it's stupid easy, no more difficult than in windows. Unlike windows however it is a lot more flexible though, which is a good thing.
                that's not easy because you have to go digging into conf files and that still doesn't change bit rate. that only changes sample rate. there is no simple gui configuration that integrates into your DE settings panel. something so dumb level basic that windows just blatantly exposes in their control panel in such an easy way for over a decade.

and then there are the other annoyances like needing alsamixer to do basic stuff like enable / disable / change the level of something like microphone boost because pulse / pipewire doesn't expose that in any of the GUI panels i've used. or let alone any of the other other stuff if you have more advance cards like a sound blaster ae5. all you have is alsamixer for that.

sound as a massive way to go in terms of user friendliness on linux.
                Last edited by middy; 04 September 2022, 04:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by middy View Post
                  that's not easy because you have to go digging into conf files and that still doesn't change bit rate. that only changes sample rate. there is no simple gui configuration that integrates into your DE settings panel. something so dumb level basic that windows just blatantly exposes in their control panel in such an easy way for over a decade.

and then there are the other annoyances like needing alsamixer to do basic stuff like enable / disable / change the level of something like microphone boost because pulse / pipewire doesn't expose that in any of the GUI panels i've used. or let alone any of the other other stuff if you have more advance cards like a sound blaster ae5. all you have is alsamixer for that.

sound as a massive way to go in terms of user friendliness on linux.
                  Easyeffect is your friend.

Comment

Originally posted by amdevereux View Post
                    Classical pavucontrol works with Pipewire.
                    Yes and it's better for non-pro users. (= everyone who doesn't record instruments with extremely low latency requirements)

Comment

I am using Pipewire for my audio pipeline since some time.. During the lockdowns, it was really nice, to have the AI Noise Reduction model in the playback chain for "MS Teams"

Comment

Working...
                      X