Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PipeWire 0.3.57 Adds AAC Decoder, Opus For Bluetooth

Phoronix: PipeWire 0.3.57 Adds AAC Decoder, Opus For Bluetooth

PipeWire 0.3.57 was released on Friday as the newest update to this Linux audio/video streams management solution that aims to fill the functionality currently provided by the likes of JACK and PulseAudio...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Interesting to see opus support, not something really used by anyone but pipewire so far, generally quite a good codec too.

Comment

I always asked myself why Opus is not used over Bluetooth. It is because they would not profit with royalties?

Comment

Originally posted by qlum View Post
        Interesting to see opus support, not something really used by anyone but pipewire so far, generally quite a good codec too.
        Opus is used quite heavily at YouTube. Some of the newer VoIP phones support it also. It really is an excellent audio codec. If bandwidth or storage constraints prevent the use of FLAC, then Opus should be next in line.

Comment

Originally posted by Chugworth View Post
          Opus is used quite heavily at YouTube. Some of the newer VoIP phones support it also. It really is an excellent audio codec. If bandwidth or storage constraints prevent the use of FLAC, then Opus should be next in line.
          I meant it's not used on bluetooth by anyone else.
          Of course, for the longest time I converted my music library to opus for use on my phone.
          Now I have a 500gb microsd and don't need to

Comment

I tried to use PipeWire on Void Linux a few days ago but I noticed some serious shortcomings. When I start PipeWire on Void I have sound right away, but it plays on my laptop speakers.

I wanted to play a movie on our TV via the HDMI cable and send the sound to the TV. For Pulse you can of course use pavucontrol and select the HDMI output and it will work.

For PipeWire I started looking for GUI interfaces and something recommended is Helvum. I then installed this on Void but this app is completely useless as a GUI for PipeWire compared to eg pavucontrol.

Then I tried QjackCtl. I configured mpv to use jack, and I was able to play sound via PipeWire + mpv on the laptop speakers. But then when I selected the TV or any HDMI output in QjackCtl and I restarted Jack and it couldn't produce any sound in mpv. Although mpv seemed to be configured correctly because it could make sound via Jack, mpv and PipeWire on the laptop.

It seems PipeWire is currently having trouble sending sound to HDMI sources. And I don't think QjackCtl is as user friendly as pavucontrol.​

Comment

Terrific work is been done with the Zoom, application. Last time I used it, less than one year ago, audio was not working at all.

Comment

Classical pavucontrol works with Pipewire.

Comment

Originally posted by Classical View Post
                  I tried to use PipeWire on Void Linux a few days ago but I noticed some serious shortcomings. When I start PipeWire on Void I have sound right away, but it plays on my laptop speakers.

I wanted to play a movie on our TV via the HDMI cable and send the sound to the TV. For Pulse you can of course use pavucontrol and select the HDMI output and it will work.

For PipeWire I started looking for GUI interfaces and something recommended is Helvum. I then installed this on Void but this app is completely useless as a GUI for PipeWire compared to eg pavucontrol.

Then I tried QjackCtl. I configured mpv to use jack, and I was able to play sound via PipeWire + mpv on the laptop speakers. But then when I selected the TV or any HDMI output in QjackCtl and I restarted Jack and it couldn't produce any sound in mpv. Although mpv seemed to be configured correctly because it could make sound via Jack, mpv and PipeWire on the laptop.

It seems PipeWire is currently having trouble sending sound to HDMI sources. And I don't think QjackCtl is as user friendly as pavucontrol.​
                  Pipewire can be extended to use most of the audio solutions (Jack, alsa, pulse, etc). Basically Pipewire is supposed to be all in one pipe for your multimedia just so you can use the tools that certain GUI:s uses (with no hassle).

Comment

A2DP AAC receiver
                    Does this mean, that microphones are now supported for a2dp-profiles?

Comment

Working...
                    X