GIMP 2.99.12 Released - "A Huge Milestone Towards GIMP 3.0"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
    Counting to GIMP 3.0 is logarithmic - you'll get closer and closer but never actually get all the way.
    Well, *AcTuAlLy*, logarithm function does not converge to any specific value, hence all values will be reached, eventually - it might take some time, though. So, yes, GIMP development looks like such function, and it will actually happen some time

Comment

Well, don't be so harsh on GIMP developers, after all they are hobbyist programmers, their main job is coding all the SW for the F-35...

Comment

Originally posted by NathanSamson View Post
        I can't be the only one who finds it funny that the GIMP is (still) 2 major releases behind the GIMP ToolKit....

(And yes I understand that upgrading an application like The GIMP to an updated version of the toolkit is a major undertaking, and I believe the upgrade from 3 to 4 might be a little bit easier -- at least I hope so for them)
        It's likely that the choice of toolkit doesn't have a major impact on the image editing capabilities outside usability.

Comment

Originally posted by ClosedSource View Post

It's likely that the choice of toolkit doesn't have a major impact on the image editing capabilities outside usability.
          well, considering that usability is a major factor in any application I would still consider that quite sad

Comment

Originally posted by Go_Vulkan View Post
            GIMP is still the best image manipulation software (not only) for Linux. I have been already using the 2.99.x versions for a long time, there is no reason to use GIMP 2.0 anymore. The only problem is for some people, that their distro still hesitates to package the new version. Why? - I really don't know. Such a difficult task?
            You could just use the beta Flatpak. It works quite well for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Go_Vulkan View Post
              GIMP is still the best image manipulation software (not only) for Linux.
              Let's agree to disagree!

I think it's Krita!

(even being proved that for some extra-pro rare *special* cases it may lack one or two needed features)

It's - in my opinion - a better image manipulator that GIMP...

But that's just my personal opinion...

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                it seems only you don't know it wasn't the gimp toolkit for several decades
                It seems only you don't know what a joke is.

Comment

Originally posted by Mavman View Post

Let's agree to disagree!

I think it's Krita!

(even being proved that for some extra-pro rare *special* cases it may lack one or two needed features)

It's - in my opinion - a better image manipulator that GIMP...

But that's just my personal opinion...
                  I agree with you. I'm no professional, but I like Krita's workflow and look and feel a whole lot better.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post

well, considering that usability is a major factor in any application I would still consider that quite sad
                    What actual usability problems does gimp depending on gtk+2 causes you with image editing? It already emulates hidpi scaling. Any other improvements in gimp3 are not related to gtk3.
                    Not having legacy libraries on your system lowers the system maintenance burden and should have no effect on your artwork.

Comment

There is a typo is this article: "alternative to the likes of Adobe Photoshop" should have been "alternative to the likes of MS PAINT"

Comment

Working...
                      X