GIMP 2.99.12 Released - "A Huge Milestone Towards GIMP 3.0"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Volta View Post

Horrible. GIMP is the one of the best image editors. I wouldn't even touch photoshop with a stick.
    sadly I have found that gimp has always been lack luster. its been inadequate for mine, and all of my friends workflows

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post

sadly I have found that gimp has always been lack luster. its been inadequate for mine, and all of my friends workflows
      I think you can always fill feature requests. It may take some time to implement, though.

Comment

GIMP is still the best image manipulation software (not only) for Linux. I have been already using the 2.99.x versions for a long time, there is no reason to use GIMP 2.0 anymore. The only problem is for some people, that their distro still hesitates to package the new version. Why? - I really don't know. Such a difficult task?
        Last edited by Go_Vulkan; 27 August 2022, 07:24 PM.

Comment

Counting to GIMP 3.0 is logarithmic - you'll get closer and closer but never actually get all the way.

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post

Horrible. GIMP is the one of the best image editors. I wouldn't even touch photoshop with a stick.
            I also think Ps is just a piece of
            obsolete trash, but I would go with Krita or even better Affinity Photo (yes it’s not
            open source but it’s the best image editor today and the license is very cheap) rather than GIMP though.

Comment

Originally posted by mirmirmir View Post

Are you kid? with all gegl stuff so fast, it's impressive
              Being fast is not everything… If the workflow sucks and that any advanced or pro artist gives up after trying an hour, it can very well be the fastest by 10 times, it still will be used by nobody in the end.
              I remember a forum thread and a guy was doing great mockups to improve the UI and one of the devs was reluctant to any ideas (and they were great) because he was convinced that everything was already the best as is…, with such a mentality, no kidding GIMP became an insult meaning an opensource software that nobody wants to use (sad and mean but very true) rather than meaning a good alternative to Photoshop.

I wish the best to the software though, but they should focus on what pro artists want rather than was devs think.

Comment

Originally posted by Go_Vulkan View Post
                The only problem is for some people, that their distro still hesitates to package the new version. Why? - I really don't know. Such a difficult task?
                Because GIMP 2.10.30 is the current stable release. With much software one does not have a 5+ year development cycle before the next stable release, but GIMP is not your usual software, and the 2.99.x pre-releases are still officially considered unstable by the GIMP developers, and most distro packagers wait for a release marked as "stable" before updating.

That does, of course, not prevent any competent individual from downloading and installing one of those pre-releases, but you are correct in saying that that means some people will not get to enjoy all of the benefits of the pre-release versions.

Comment

Congratulations to the Gimp team, there are a lot of changes in this release. I use Gimp a lot and am looking forward to trying it, especially the core features like the on- canvas modifiers and zoom.

Comment

Originally posted by rmfx View Post
                    I remember a forum thread and a guy was doing great mockups to improve the UI and one of the devs was reluctant to any ideas (and they were great) because he was convinced that everything was already the best as is…, with such a mentality, no kidding GIMP became an insult meaning an opensource software that nobody wants to use (sad and mean but very true) rather than meaning a good alternative to Photoshop.
                    Having seen how these threads go, I'm willing to bet a million dollars that if you dig up that conversation, we'll see a completely different picture. Do you know why? Because no GIMP developer would ever tell you, publicly or privately, that things are perfect the way they are. So tell me, are you a million dollars sure that you did not just grossly misrepresent what actually happened and what kind of people run this project?

Comment

Originally posted by NathanSamson View Post
                      I can't be the only one who finds it funny that the GIMP is (still) 2 major releases behind the GIMP ToolKit....
                      it seems only you don't know it wasn't the gimp toolkit for several decades

Comment

Working...
                      X