Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KDE Makes It Easy To Now Remap Extra Mouse Buttons, Discover Keeps Getting Better

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kylew77 View Post
    What is the use case for multi cursors in Kate and other Kwrite tools? Why would I ever want more than one mouse cursor to click. Not trying to stir up trouble, just genuinely curious what purpose it solves?
    My first thought was two or more people working on the same document; like during a video call and other remote activities.

Comment

Originally posted by kylew77 View Post
      What is the use case for multi cursors in Kate and other Kwrite tools? Why would I ever want more than one mouse cursor to click. Not trying to stir up trouble, just genuinely curious what purpose it solves?
      There are a lot of usecases. Just watch multicursor feature videos on YouTube for Sublime / VSCode and you will get an idea. The general idea is that you can add the same text to multiple places quickly. Here's one case: you have a list where you want to add a comma at the end and wrap each word with quotes. With multicursors this is really easy to do. Of course a lot of things that can be done using multiple cursors can be done using S&R but maybe not all and sometimes it's just faster to do it using multiple cursors.

PS: I implemented this functionality. And would love feedback on this feature or on Kate in general. Thanks

​​​​

Last edited by dr_wix; 27 August 2022, 07:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dr_wix View Post

There are a lot of usecases. Just watch multicursor feature videos on YouTube for Sublime / VSCode and you will get an idea. The general idea is that you can add the same text to multiple places quickly. Here's one case: you have a list where you want to add a comma at the end and wrap each word with quotes. With multicursors this is really easy to do. Of course a lot of things that can be done using multiple cursors can be done using S&R but maybe not all and sometimes it's just faster to do it using multiple cursors.

PS: I implemented this functionality. And would love feedback on this feature or on Kate in general. Thanks

​​​​

Thank you for your work on Kate Dr_wix. I love it! It is my favorite multi-platform Editor. I use it on MacOS for work and Linux and *BSD at home. Use Kate just about every day. That and Ocular. Thank you for the development time spent! I wasn't trying to attack your work at all. I can see how it would work similar to find and replace but offer advantages. While I don't anticipate using this feature anytime soon I am glad it is there! Thanks again for the work dr_wix!

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post

Of course it is. It's dead. Last non-automated code commit was 2021.
          In https://invent.kde.org/multimedia/ka...commits/master I'm seeing non-automated code commits, made recently 🤔.
          Last edited by Nth_man; 27 August 2022, 12:15 PM.

Comment

​​​​​
            I would love for a change to be reverted. There used to be a floppy icon in the tab when a change was made and the file needed saving, an easy visual clue to see this. Now it looks like maybe it is using an italic font for the name to show the same, it is so close to the normal font shown it is near impossible with my eyes to tell the difference. I would think bold if it still needs to not have the floppy icon would be the better choice to give a visual clue that it needs to be saved. Also the setting for not losing any unsaved work if it is closed without saving no longer works on my install, I have lost data twice now with that feature supposedly working when it is activated in the configuration. This being in the Application Shutdown Behavior the Automatically save and restore, using the two items there for the Newly created unsaved files and Files with unsaved changes. Kubuntu 22.04 with KDE gears 22.04 from the backports installed. Thanks for the work it is a lovely program. I have now changed my behavior to saving as soon as any changes are made to a file, I do not like data loss.

Edit: or if you could point me to the code where this change was made I will revert and build the application myself for my own personal use. Would not be the first time I have had to do that.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
              I'm surprised it's taken this long to remap the mouse buttons. That's one of those really simple things that has always made Linux a little less user friendly yet surprisingly nobody bothered to make.
              There were unofficial Linux apps available that could do that already. And it's the same situation on Windows: I can't remap the extra buttons on my MX Ergo without Logitech's control panel. On KDE I can now do that without the need for Logitech's app, so in a way, Linux is now ahead of Windows in terms of built-in features.
              Last edited by Vistaus; 27 August 2022, 11:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

There were unofficial Linux apps available that could do that already. And it's the same situation on Windows: I can't remap the extra buttons on my MX Ergo without Logitech's control panel. On KDE I can now do that without the need for Logitech's app, so in a way, Linux is now ahead of Windows in terms of built-in features.
                That control panel was garbage on Apple machines, I ended up with BetterTouchTool on it, worked great for the remapping. In Linux the already mentioned, in my first post, xbindkeys in combination with the xdotool for the commands to be issued works perfectly for this. Only problem with the KDE implementation is you would need to be running the bleeding edge to get it. Which not many will be doing, those two little utilities with the xev used to get the button numbers will work fine without the bleeding edge usage, right now and have worked well for some time. A link for anyone interested in the here and now solution.

If you have a mouse with extra buttons, you can rebind those buttons to perform a key combination, run a program, command or script. This will only work if you use X11 (it does not work on Wayland) because the tools we'll use for this only support X11.

Comment

Originally posted by redgreen925 View Post

I would love for a change to be reverted. There used to be a floppy icon in the tab when a change was made and the file needed saving, an easy visual clue to see this..
                  Maybe its your lucky day, We already reverted in favor of the old approach with the difference that every tab will have an icon, when the tab is modified it will change to a floppy icon. Should be available in 22.08

While at it, I would suggest you to use the "documents" plugin as your tab bar. It is way better than the tabbar and has a lot more features for eg coloring last modified docs.

Also the setting for not losing any unsaved work if it is closed without saving no longer works on my install, I have lost data twice now...
                  You have it configured correctly, so it's likely a bug. If you know of a way to reproduce it I can try to fix it.
                  Last edited by dr_wix; 27 August 2022, 12:48 PM.

Comment

Only problem with the KDE implementation is you would need to be running the bleeding edge to get it.[/url]
                    At the moment, yes, but this will be rolled out to stable, which will be released in just a few to a couple of months.

Comment

Maybe its your lucky day, We already reverted in favor of the old approach with the difference that every tab will have an icon, when the tab is modified it will change to a floppy icon. Should be available in 22.08

While at it, I would suggest you to use the "documents" plugin as your tab bar. It is way better than the tabbar and has a lot more features for eg coloring last modified docs.

You have it configured correctly, so it's likely a bug. If you know of a way to reproduce it I can try to fix it.
                      Bonus now all I need is for one of them backports repositories to get it in there. I did a Debian 11 install test the other day as one of their former developers does a monthly update of the frameworks, gears .. and such. It had the 22.08 but the rest of the software is out of date to much for my liking. Thanks for the tip I will check into the plugin and see how it works. Of course now I complain about it the damn thing it does it correctly, I made changes in couple of files closed the app without saving and it was still there when re-opened both times I did it.

Edit: Now the thought popped into my head when the data loss occurred I had booted my main machine with the external drive I put the Debian 11 on and was using its internal drive as the source for my home directory. This is when I edited the files and forgot to save them before I gave up on the testing and rebooted back into the main install. I think the Kate version on the main install, the 22.04, would have no clue of the editing done on the files with the 22.08 version on the testing disk. At least that is the only thing that makes sense to me now I have realized when the editing was done that resulted in the loss of data.
                      Last edited by redgreen925; 27 August 2022, 10:39 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X