Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KDE Makes It Easy To Now Remap Extra Mouse Buttons, Discover Keeps Getting Better

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Makes It Easy To Now Remap Extra Mouse Buttons, Discover Keeps Getting Better

Phoronix: KDE Makes It Easy To Now Remap Extra Mouse Buttons, Discover Keeps Getting Better

KDE developer Nate Graham is out early with his usual weekly development summary that highlights all of this prominent open-source desktop environment. Notable this week is KDE integrating support for re-binding extra mouse buttons as well as a lot of continued work on Discover...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

"KDE can now re-bind the buttons of your multi-button mouse."

About time someone did it, though my use of the xdotool and xbindkeys has served me well enough for that remapping to a command until I updated to the 5.25 Plasma in Kubuntu 22.04. The loading of the xbindkeys is no longer done by it on a login like before and I had to make a script to add to the autostart to get it going on login, like I do for the numlock setting to be loaded to being on and have that work on my keyboard. Now if they would just update one of them backports with the KDE Gears 22.08 I would be a happier man.

Comment

An excellent initiative.

Comment

I've been using Piper for my G604 mouse, works great...

Comment

Input Remapper serves me well.

Comment

I'm surprised it's taken this long to remap the mouse buttons. That's one of those really simple things that has always made Linux a little less user friendly yet surprisingly nobody bothered to make. Personally, I would have if I cared enough - I'm fine with the default settings for my 5-button mouse so I never had the incentive to look into it myself.
            Same sort of thing goes for a GUI for GPUs other than DRIconf - most of the default settings are fine with me and by the time I was considering making a graphical xorg.conf editor, I stopped using proprietary drivers and started using Wayland.
            ALSA was another one of those things that really needed a proper GUI tool to configure. That was something I wanted to make but I could never properly figure it out. ALSA was really powerful but it was horribly user-unfriendly to do anything that wasn't stereo, PCM, or basic mic. PulseAudio may not have ever needed to exist if ALSA wasn't such a nightmare to configure.

Comment

Kamoso still broken ....

Comment

Originally posted by HighValueWarrior View Post
                Kamoso still broken ....
                Can you be more specific or provide a link to a bug report?

Comment

What is the use case for multi cursors in Kate and other Kwrite tools? Why would I ever want more than one mouse cursor to click. Not trying to stir up trouble, just genuinely curious what purpose it solves?

Comment

Originally posted by HighValueWarrior View Post
                    Kamoso still broken ....
                    Of course it is. It's dead. Last non-automated code commit was 2021.

Comment

Working...
                    X