Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red Hat Enterprise Linux 10 Is Eliminating GTK 2 Support

Phoronix: Red Hat Enterprise Linux 10 Is Eliminating GTK 2 Support

While we are about three years out from seeing Red Hat Enterprise Linux 10, it was announced today that the GTK2 toolkit will not be supported in that next major RHEL version...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Any volunteers to port these apps to GTK3/4?

ddccontrol-gtk - use it daily
    gkrellm - likewire
    gpicview - use quite a lot
    hexchat - use quite a lot
    lxdm - my DM
    pavumeter - use it often
    unique - it has UI? Really? OMG

A weird decision on Redhat's part.

And these are GTK2 applications that I use. I imagine people have lots more.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie
      Any volunteers to rewrite these apps in GTK3/4?

gkrellm - likewire
      lxdm - my DM
      pavumeter - use it often

A weird decision of Redhat's part.

I don't think I've ever met someone quite like you. Someone who hates the stuff he uses with great passion. It's like there's two versions of you in one body. Or maybe you're actually two people...

Comment

Originally posted by birdie
        Any volunteers to rewrite these apps in GTK3/4?

gkrellm - likewire
        lxdm - my DM
        pavumeter - use it often

A weird decision of Redhat's part.

gkrellm you could migrate to Conky.
        GPicView you could migrate to Eye of GNOME.
        The author of HexChat has no interest in porting it to GTK 3. The widget which has all the text is a custom one and rather difficult to port from GTK 2 to GTK 3, it needs to be rewritten, its the one that has a username then a line then the text said by that user. https://github.com/hexchat/hexchat/issues/2047 He minimally maintains it and is not actively working on HexChat much. You can migrate to Polari.
        lxdm you can migrate to GDM.
        Not sure if you will need pavumeter since PulseAudio is being deprecated in favor of PipeWire.

Comment

Originally posted by remenic View Post

I don't think I've ever met someone quite like you. Someone who hates the stuff he uses with great passion. It's like there's two versions of you in one body. Or maybe you're actually two people...
          Instant blacklist. I've never hated Linux, I've been using it exclusively for over 25 years now. Seeing glaring issues with something doesn't mean hating it. Otherwise people would have never married. Lurking here since 2007, knowing nothing about me only to shit on me all of a sudden.

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

gkrellm you could migrate to Conky.
          GPicView you could migrate to Eye of GNOME.
          The author of HexChat has no interest in porting it to GTK 3. The widget which has all the text is a custom one and rather difficult to port from GTK 2 to GTK 3, it needs to be rewritten, its the one that has a username then a line then the text said by that user. https://github.com/hexchat/hexchat/issues/2047 He minimally maintains it and is not actively working on HexChat much. You can migrate to Polari.
          lxdm you can migrate to GDM.
          Not sure if you will need pavumeter since PulseAudio is being deprecated in favor of PipeWire.
          Conky is 100% user-unfriendly.
          I don't want Eye of Gnome and GDM, I have zero Gnome applications and intend to keep it this way. I'd love to purge GTK from my system, unfortunately XFCE is built on it.
          Pavumenter is not PulseAudio, it uses PulseAudio API which PipeWire fully [re]implements, something which prevents Wayland from ever being able to fully replace X11/Xorg.
          Last edited by birdie; 26 August 2022, 09:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
            Any volunteers to port these apps to GTK3/4?

gkrellm - likewire
            lxdm - my DM
            pavumeter - use it often

A weird decision on Redhat's part.

Instead of posting stupid posts you can grab some book and learn programming (you will see how hard may be to mantain old software), after few years if you really need this software you can start to port this stuff yourself and stop complain. Other solution? Switch to alternative software or stay with older distribution, but... anyway stop complain.

Comment

Originally posted by nadro View Post

Instead of posting stupid posts you can grab some book and learn programming (you will see how hard may be to mantain old software), after few years if you really need this software you can start to port this stuff yourself and stop complain. Other solution? Switch to alternative software or stay with older distribution, but... anyway stop complain.
              Where the fuck did I complain? I invited people to port these applications and didn't welcome this decision. What's up with people today?

Also, you know what's wrong with Linux exactly and why Windows, Chrome and Mac OS are everywhere and Linux is only seen on supercomputers? These OS give a fuck about backward compability. Linux/Open Source developers are obsessed with developing something new and throwing away perfectly working solutions. This is not limited to the core Linux OS, NPM/Ruby/Python libraries have the same issue.

You do not break people's workflow. You do not make them look for replacements, oftentimes either missing features, working differently or not existing at all. Must be something very wrong with you if you think otherwise.
              Last edited by birdie; 26 August 2022, 09:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post

Where the fuck did I complain? I invited people to port these applications and didn't welcome this decision. What's up with people today?
                I read a lot of your posts and you almost never welcome any decisions, almost everywhere you see a problems. It's really boring.

Comment

Doesn’t RHEL support Flatpak? I imagine the impact would be minimal.

Comment

I would say maybe there're Qt alternatives, but I don't think you like Qt either?

Comment

Working...
                    X