Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EvilHowl
    replied
    Don't feed the trolls. It's not funny when they are so blatant.

Great decision by Red Hat. I can't believe GTK 2 lasted this amount of time. Python 2 was ditched pretty quickly, in comparison. Maybe it's because GNOME has gotten incredibly good only "recently".

Leave a comment:

• SyXbiT
    replied
    Originally posted by birdie View Post
    Any volunteers to port these apps to GTK3/4?

ddccontrol-gtk - use it daily
    gkrellm - likewire
    gpicview - use quite a lot
    hexchat - use quite a lot
    lxdm - my DM
    pavumeter - use it often
    unique - it has UI? Really? OMG

A weird decision on Redhat's part.

And these are GTK2 applications that I use. I imagine people have lots more.
    I don't think it's a weird decision at all. RHEL 9 will get support for 10 more years, so just stick with that if you need GTK2

Leave a comment:

• Vistaus
    replied
    Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

No, but I happily volunteer to maintain Gtk2.
    Don't say that around here. People are complaining about TQt3 already and that has more developers than your future GTK2 branch if you are the sole maintainer. So there's no way people are going to welcome that.

Leave a comment:

• Vistaus
    replied

Instant blacklist. I've never hated Linux, I've been using it exclusively for over 25 years now.
    Exclusively? So what was up with all the "feature xyz works better for me on Windows" up until recently? If you only use Linux, you wouldn't even know how it works on Windows.

Leave a comment:

• Vistaus
    replied

ddccontrol-gtk - use it daily
    gkrellm - likewire
    gpicview - use quite a lot
    hexchat - use quite a lot
    lxdm - my DM
    pavumeter - use it often
    unique - it has UI? Really? OMG

A weird decision on Redhat's part.

And these are GTK2 applications that I use. I imagine people have lots more.
    FYI, LXDM is already in the process of being ported to Qt as part of the LXQt development. And pavumeter development is dead and will remain dead as more and more distributions switch to PipeWire.

Btw, I don't use any GKT2 app anymore and I don't know of anyone that does.
    Last edited by Vistaus; 26 August 2022, 11:02 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Vistaus
    replied
    Uh-oh, companies are not going to like this!!!

Leave a comment:

• rainbyte
    replied
    It is still possible to run these gtk2 apps using flatpak, so gtk2 could be removed from distros with little impact to the users.

I'm doing that in order to have GIMP running on my machine, as I blocked gtk2 in the package manager config.

Leave a comment:

• birdie
    replied
    Originally posted by jntesteves View Post

Oh, come on, birdie, what's up with you today? We all know you. Especially us who have been hanging out in this forum for well over a decade. We all know you are a notorious TROLL in this forum, and have been since forever. So you shouldn't get upset when people don't like your posts. I thought you would feed on the hate. That's what trolls usually do, anyway.
    Find me a single message here on anywhere on the Internet where I'm trolling, I dare you. Everyone knows my name and email can be googled in a few seconds.

Leave a comment:

• jntesteves
    replied
    Lurking here since 2007, knowing nothing about me only to shit on me all of a sudden.
    Oh, come on, birdie, what's up with you today? We all know you. Especially us who have been hanging out in this forum for well over a decade. We all know you are a notorious TROLL in this forum, and have been since forever. So you shouldn't get upset when people don't like your posts. I thought you would feed on the hate. That's what trolls usually do, anyway.

Leave a comment:

• kpedersen
    replied
    No, but I happily volunteer to maintain Gtk2. Perhaps as epel or rpmfusion. We can keep it going no problem. We manage with Motif 1.x, 2.x and Gtk1.x well. if this wasn't possible, open-source has basically failed.

Its not as if Microsoft supports Gtk 2.0 on Windows either and yet it runs perfectly well on that.
    Last edited by kpedersen; 26 August 2022, 10:22 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X