Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compiz 0.9.14.2 Released After Two Years

Phoronix: Compiz 0.9.14.2 Released After Two Years

While the Compiz compositing window manager isn't as popular as it was during its early days of adding animated "bling" to the Linux desktop or when it was in use by Ubuntu, there still are some users having fun with it and a handful of contributors making some maintenance and other progress to it...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Ubuntu... back when it really was Linux for human beings...
    No Canonical, no lies, no Snap, no trash

Old Phoronix with sponsors and a cool, nostalgic layout...

...and the fun of Compiz and its thousand effects!

Comment

The second screenshot, with the "ATI Catalyst Control Center", reminds me of the good old time when we had to install fglrx to use our ATI/AMD GPUs under Linux… Wait! It was NOT good!

What is strange though is that the first time I heard about Linux (by a user group in a local event) the most remarquable thing they presented was this Compiz cube and now, nearly no one still have it on Linux. But, honestly, the cube did not convince me to switch at this time and now, without this cube, I would consider switching back to Windows as a torture, so it clearly seems that Compiz was just overrated bling. Yes, it was fun, but that is not what we really need for Linux.
      Last edited by ALRBP; 25 August 2022, 10:24 AM.

Comment

fglrx definitely was the bad old days, I remember the time when the stigma of old radeon drivers remained, even though the Mesa drivers were already better for most people.

Comment

Compiz was good for bling - for that moment when you could make a Windows-only user go, "Wait, what was that, how did you do that?!" but I never used it for anything else. At one point I had my desktop all customised like MacOS as well, because it was funny to watch people do a double take.

Then I discovered Openbox, and completely blank desktops (with a discreet Conky in the corner) and watching family or friends who "just needed to check something on Google" fail to find how to do anything (why does no one think to try to right click?)

Then I actually had to start using Linux daily, and my tour through all the other desktop environments began.

Comment

ive been using wayfire to scratch that old itch. sadly its pretty bare bones in terms of everything else, but a lot of the core stuff is there. panels and stuff in general is just very much lacking for wlroots based compositors so the stacking experience is a bit lack luster, less buggy then kde and way faster then gnome tho, so im sticking with it for now. having some of the compiz charm is a big plus too

Comment

For Gnome users, try the "Desktop Cube" and "Burn My Windows" extensions for a modern take on classic Compiz goodness.

Comment

Still rocking compiz on manjaro via compiz-easy-patch in the AUR. It's been my primary compositor since 2016, and that's not going to change for a good while. Got my eye on wayfire though.

Got my folks and siblings on it too - they particularly enjoy being able to show off their desktops to friends and family.

Comment

Back in the days, it was also very fast compared to kwin.
                  Since then, I've the impression that the latter has become even heavier.

Comment

Originally posted by QwertyChouskie View Post
                    For Gnome users, try the "Desktop Cube" and "Burn My Windows" extensions for a modern take on classic Compiz goodness.
                    Kde also has a "wobbly windows" effect plugin that definitely is reminiscent of compiz. I always enable it (although I turn down the "wobble" factor considerably)

Comment

Working...
                    X