No announcement yet.

Compiz 0.9.14.2 Released After Two Years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Back when Linux was fun and beautiful...

Comment

Originally posted by alexvoda View Post

Window decorations are a lot more complicated now. With Gnome and all Gnome aligned GTK apps choosing CSD (client side decorations) and mostly killing the titlebar. KDE, Qt apps and anyone not Gnome still do server side decorations so it is still possible there. But this schism will cause an inconsistent experience depending on the apps you use.
      Yah the focus on CSD is BRUTAL. It has sent me back to KDE. I want all my apps as much as possible to look like part of a unified system... not a giant ball of glued together junk with thousands of Band-Aid patches. Now that said... the latter most accurately reflects most of linux on the desktop so maybe its a GUI requirement

Comment

Originally posted by user1 View Post
        This is not the case with Compiz. It's also the only X window manager that has a consistently and properly working fullscreen unredirection.
        This. Compiz is quite simply the best window manager for me because it has all the functionality I need. Vsync is good in normal PC usage but not when gaming for example, and unidirection solves that cleanly. I also use the zoom a lot. It's also lightweight and fast. Can't ask for more.

I also don't give a shit about Wayland.

Comment

Originally posted by QwertyChouskie View Post
          For Gnome users, try the "Desktop Cube" and "Burn My Windows" extensions for a modern take on classic Compiz goodness.
          And for KDE users, try the Burn My Windows effects: https://www.pling.com/u/schneegans

Comment

Originally posted by alexvoda View Post

Window decorations are a lot more complicated now. With Gnome and all Gnome aligned GTK apps choosing CSD (client side decorations) and mostly killing the titlebar. KDE, Qt apps and anyone not Gnome still do server side decorations so it is still possible there. But this schism will cause an inconsistent experience depending on the apps you use.
            Not all Qt apps do SSD still. All of Deepin's apps do CSD and those are Qt as well. And there's a growing number of Maui apps, powered by Qt, which also use CSD.

Comment

Originally posted by partcyborg View Post

Kde also has a "wobbly windows" effect plugin that definitely is reminiscent of compiz. I always enable it (although I turn down the "wobble" factor considerably)
              Wobbly windows is one major factor for me too. Like you I also turn it down a bit.

Other desktops without it feel inevitably "stiff".

It took me a week to make it feel both natural as well as necessary andessential. That was some fifteen years ago. I still use it.

Comment

Hehh, Compiz was a big factor for me to install Linux.

I still remember the faces of the Win XP users (back in the good old Ubuntu 8.04 days), when they saw the desktop cube and other compiz effects. They had no idea, that a GUI can be such awesome.

Comment

For those who want to try out Compiz in 2022 I recommend to use the more stable 0.8 branch before they switched to C++ as it's faster and more stable: https://gitlab.com/compiz/compiz-cor...leases/v0.8.18

Comment

Originally posted by Kepsz View Post
                    Hehh, Compiz was a big factor for me to install Linux.

I still remember the faces of the Win XP users (back in the good old Ubuntu 8.04 days), when they saw the desktop cube and other compiz effects. They had no idea, that a GUI can be such awesome.
                    Yeah, hardware accelerated desktop was generally a new thing in the 2000's, so it's understandable that if you also add all the fancy effects on top of that, it blew people's mind back then, especially when some of them were probably looking at hardware accelerated desktop for the first time.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post
                      ive been using wayfire to scratch that old itch. sadly its pretty bare bones in terms of everything else, but a lot of the core stuff is there. panels and stuff in general is just very much lacking for wlroots based compositors so the stacking experience is a bit lack luster, less buggy then kde and way faster then gnome tho, so im sticking with it for now. having some of the compiz charm is a big plus too
                      wayfire is probalby the most exciting wayland compositor for me; it's just that, well, it's wayland... and wayland sucks worse than x ever has, ironically.

Comment

Working...
                      X