Compiz 0.9.14.2 Released After Two Years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
    Ubuntu... back when it really was Linux for human beings...
    No Canonical, no lies, no Snap, no trash
    Pretty sure Ubuntu was always owned by Canonical.

Comment

While most of compiz is completely useless there's is a few things that can really be useful. For me that is the task switchers, expo modes, the ability to desaturate non active windows, zoom functionality and actually the infamous cube which all makes it easier to get a "physical feel" for the desktop.

http://www.dirtcellar.net

Comment

Compiz is still useful with external plugins for full-screen color correction.

Comment

Speaking of Compiz, I'm still surprised I haven't seen anyone port the water ripple effect from Beryl to anything newer after the Compiz-Fusion merge.
          It's old and low-res, but here's a video of what I'm talking about: (skip to the 2:04 mark)

Or this notification effect that utilized it:

Comment

Originally posted by lectrode View Post
            Got my folks and siblings on it too - they particularly enjoy being able to show off their desktops to friends and family.
            Wayfire looks promising but it is really missing good window decrations - like emerald or at least gtk decorator from compiz.

Comment

Originally posted by dragon321 View Post

Pretty sure Ubuntu was always owned by Canonical.
              It was at least as far back as Ubuntu 10.04, which was the first Linux distro I ever used. Canonical definitely used to be more focused on usability rather than enterprise in those days. I loved Ubuntu 10.04 so much.
              Last edited by hamishmb; 25 August 2022, 07:53 AM. Reason: Typo

Comment

Originally posted by BlueJayofEvil View Post
                Speaking of Compiz, I'm still surprised I haven't seen anyone port the water ripple effect from Beryl to anything newer after the Compiz-Fusion merge.
                It's old and low-res, but here's a video of what I'm talking about: (skip to the 2:04 mark)

Or this notification effect that utilized it:
                reminds me of the good old day when I was a scriptkiddy - besides the underlying song "here comes the hotstepper from ini kamoze" is also very cool

Comment

Many consider Compiz irrelevant and gimmicky, but I think it's one of the most, if not the most performant and lightweight compositing window manager on Linux. A few years ago I installed Ubuntu with Unity on a very old PC with Pentium 4 and an ATI 9600 pro 128mb (using open source drivers) and even with Unity, compiz was butter smooth on such ancient hardware. I mean try running modern Gnome or KDE on such hardware... it will probably crawl. One thing I noticed on both Gnome and KDE is that if you have a lot of windows open, animations will start lagging. This is not the case with Compiz. It's also the only X window manager that has a consistently and properly working fullscreen unredirection.
                  I heard a long time ago some people disliked it because the 0.8.x series was buggy, but the 0.9.x series since the early 2010's is very stable.
                  Btw, if you're using Linux Mint, Compiz is preinstalled in Mate and Xfce editions.

But regarding this new version, it's a bummer they didn't add support for _GTK_FRAME_EXTENTS because without it all CSD windows have sharp corners, regardless of the used GTK theme.
                  Last edited by user1; 25 August 2022, 05:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
                    Ubuntu... back when it really was Linux for human beings...
                    No Canonical, no lies, no Snap, no trash

Old Phoronix with sponsors and a cool, nostalgic layout...

...and the fun of Compiz and its thousand effects!
                    Ahh...nostalgia, destroyer of progress.

Comment

Originally posted by asriel View Post

Wayfire looks promising but it is really missing good window decrations - like emerald or at least gtk decorator from compiz.
                      Window decorations are a lot more complicated now. With Gnome and all Gnome aligned GTK apps choosing CSD (client side decorations) and mostly killing the titlebar. KDE, Qt apps and anyone not Gnome still do server side decorations so it is still possible there. But this schism will cause an inconsistent experience depending on the apps you use.

Comment

Working...
                      X