Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by user1 View Post
    <snip>

But regarding this new version, it's a bummer they didn't add support for _GTK_FRAME_EXTENTS because without it all CSD windows have sharp corners, regardless of the used GTK theme.
    Note that compiz 0.8.18 (https://gitlab.com/compiz) DOES have _GTK_FRAME_EXTENTS support and also _NET_WM_STATE_FOCUSED to allow proper theming of CSD windows with rounded corners and different decoration coloring (etc) when focussed or in backdrop.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke View Post

Note that compiz 0.8.18 (https://gitlab.com/compiz) DOES have _GTK_FRAME_EXTENTS support and also _NET_WM_STATE_FOCUSED to allow proper theming of CSD windows with rounded corners and different decoration coloring (etc) when focussed or in backdrop.
      Good to know, thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by rabcor View Post

wayfire is probalby the most exciting wayland compositor for me; it's just that, well, it's wayland... and wayland sucks worse than x ever has, ironically.
        unfortunately to make Wayland a suitable environment for most users, you need to use unofficial extensions, since Wayland devs are hell bent on preventing flexibility within Wayland itself this will unfortunately lead to fragmentation unless every DE decides on a set of additional extensions like WLR ones.

for instance it will be a PITA to make a keymapper or another tools to map controller input onto touch functionality something that is fairly common on mobile devices, using wayland, or doing it in a way that doesn't involve a large degree of jank

thanks to wlroots and stuff like that it may be possible, same thing with MPV stay-on-top, it doesnt work on wayland since it doesn't allow apps to choose their layers, wlroots has an protocol for allowing this however. which everything aside from gnome supports afaik

Comment

Oh Wobbly Windows... How I miss you!

Comment

The good old days.

Now everything is flat, uninspired, unintuitive and and not flexible.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
              Ubuntu... back when it really was Linux for human beings...
              No Canonical, no lies, no Snap, no trash

Old Phoronix with sponsors and a cool, nostalgic layout...

...and the fun of Compiz and its thousand effects!
              Still have the 6.06 LTS CD.

8.04 was a very user friendly desktop focused distribution for average human beings, good old days.

Comment

Good old days of Compiz. Compiz's eye candy was what drew me into Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by NeoMorpheus View Post
                  The good old days.

Now everything is flat, uninspired, unintuitive and and not flexible.
                  And uses 10x more ram... I think the lightest ubuntu is like 500MB+ on the desktop now, and I used to run compiz on a Radeon 7000 laptop with only 16MB vram for kicks it could just barely do it and 192MB system ram.

Even XFCE is bloated these days the whole distrobution of XFCE used to be a couple MB.

Comment

Originally posted by Random_Jerk View Post
                    Good old days of Compiz. Compiz's eye candy was what drew me into Linux.
                    LoL

Later on, GNOME 3 completed ditched its fallback mode making Compiz impossible to run with it.

KDE SE 4.10+ (4.11) absorbed most of the good eye candy effects into its KWin, not bad.

Comment

Originally posted by cb88 View Post

And uses 10x more ram... I think the lightest ubuntu is like 500MB+ on the desktop now, and I used to run compiz on a Radeon 7000 laptop with only 16MB vram for kicks it could just barely do it and 192MB system ram.

Even XFCE is bloated these days the whole distrobution of XFCE used to be a couple MB.
                      XFCE has to follow upstream GTK3 where the most bloat comes from.

Comment

Working...
                      X