• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cb88
    replied
    Originally posted by NeoMorpheus View Post
    The good old days.

Now everything is flat, uninspired, unintuitive and and not flexible.
    And uses 10x more ram... I think the lightest ubuntu is like 500MB+ on the desktop now, and I used to run compiz on a Radeon 7000 laptop with only 16MB vram for kicks it could just barely do it and 192MB system ram.

Even XFCE is bloated these days the whole distrobution of XFCE used to be a couple MB.

Leave a comment:

• Random_Jerk
    replied
    Good old days of Compiz. Compiz's eye candy was what drew me into Linux.

Leave a comment:

• terrywang
    replied
    Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
    Ubuntu... back when it really was Linux for human beings...
    No Canonical, no lies, no Snap, no trash

Old Phoronix with sponsors and a cool, nostalgic layout...

...and the fun of Compiz and its thousand effects!
    Still have the 6.06 LTS CD.

8.04 was a very user friendly desktop focused distribution for average human beings, good old days.

Leave a comment:

• NeoMorpheus
    replied
    The good old days.

Now everything is flat, uninspired, unintuitive and and not flexible.

Leave a comment:

• gururise
    replied
    Oh Wobbly Windows... How I miss you!

Leave a comment:

• Quackdoc
    replied
    Originally posted by rabcor View Post

wayfire is probalby the most exciting wayland compositor for me; it's just that, well, it's wayland... and wayland sucks worse than x ever has, ironically.
    unfortunately to make Wayland a suitable environment for most users, you need to use unofficial extensions, since Wayland devs are hell bent on preventing flexibility within Wayland itself this will unfortunately lead to fragmentation unless every DE decides on a set of additional extensions like WLR ones.

for instance it will be a PITA to make a keymapper or another tools to map controller input onto touch functionality something that is fairly common on mobile devices, using wayland, or doing it in a way that doesn't involve a large degree of jank

thanks to wlroots and stuff like that it may be possible, same thing with MPV stay-on-top, it doesnt work on wayland since it doesn't allow apps to choose their layers, wlroots has an protocol for allowing this however. which everything aside from gnome supports afaik

Leave a comment:

• user1
    replied
    Originally posted by Luke View Post

Note that compiz 0.8.18 (https://gitlab.com/compiz) DOES have _GTK_FRAME_EXTENTS support and also _NET_WM_STATE_FOCUSED to allow proper theming of CSD windows with rounded corners and different decoration coloring (etc) when focussed or in backdrop.
    Good to know, thanks!

Leave a comment:

• Luke
    replied
    Originally posted by user1 View Post
    <snip>

But regarding this new version, it's a bummer they didn't add support for _GTK_FRAME_EXTENTS because without it all CSD windows have sharp corners, regardless of the used GTK theme.
    Note that compiz 0.8.18 (https://gitlab.com/compiz) DOES have _GTK_FRAME_EXTENTS support and also _NET_WM_STATE_FOCUSED to allow proper theming of CSD windows with rounded corners and different decoration coloring (etc) when focussed or in backdrop.

Leave a comment:

• rabcor
    replied
    Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post
    ive been using wayfire to scratch that old itch. sadly its pretty bare bones in terms of everything else, but a lot of the core stuff is there. panels and stuff in general is just very much lacking for wlroots based compositors so the stacking experience is a bit lack luster, less buggy then kde and way faster then gnome tho, so im sticking with it for now. having some of the compiz charm is a big plus too
    wayfire is probalby the most exciting wayland compositor for me; it's just that, well, it's wayland... and wayland sucks worse than x ever has, ironically.

Leave a comment:

• user1
    replied
    Originally posted by Kepsz View Post
    Hehh, Compiz was a big factor for me to install Linux.

I still remember the faces of the Win XP users (back in the good old Ubuntu 8.04 days), when they saw the desktop cube and other compiz effects. They had no idea, that a GUI can be such awesome.
    Yeah, hardware accelerated desktop was generally a new thing in the 2000's, so it's understandable that if you also add all the fancy effects on top of that, it blew people's mind back then, especially when some of them were probably looking at hardware accelerated desktop for the first time.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X