LibreOffice 7.4 Released With Support For WebP, Many Other Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LibreOffice 7.4 Released With Support For WebP, Many Other Improvements

Phoronix: LibreOffice 7.4 Released With Support For WebP, Many Other Improvements

LibreOffice 7.4 is out today as the latest major update to this open-source, cross-platform office suite. This leading free software office suite now supports WebP images as well as a variety of other improvements to its various components...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Next stop AVIF? Let's not wait 10 years again to support an open format.

Which is derived from the AV1 video codec, just as WebP is derived from VP8 from 2010 (!).

Eg. The Gimp is open source and already supports AVIF:
    Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite
    Last edited by PieterDeBruijn; 18 August 2022, 08:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by PieterDeBruijn View Post
      Let's not wait 10 years again to support an open format.
      I thought WebP wasn't considered ready for adoption by most projects (browsers and graphics programs) until about 2019/2020. Seems like that 10+ years may be largely due to Google's slow pace of promulgating official libraries.

If I'm wrong, feel free to correct the record.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post

I thought WebP wasn't considered ready for adoption by most projects (browsers and graphics programs) until about 2019/2020. Seems like that 10+ years may be largely due to Google's slow pace of promulgating official libraries.

If I'm wrong, feel free to correct the record.
        Heck, I still go out of my way to avoid it because the version of Geeqie included with *buntu 20.04 LTS doesn't support it and the version of Geeqie distributed on Flatpak uses that godawful default GTK+ 2.x theme because nobody packaged the GTK+ 2.x version of Breeze for Flatpak and Geeqie for GTK 3.x is apparently not up to snuff yet.

(Honestly, I suspect I'll get around to finishing my PyQt5 rewrite of the bits of Geeqie I actually care about (so I can embed them in a custom image databasing tool) before Geeqie for GTK 3 is ready. QImage already loaded thumbnails from disk twice as fast as whatever Geeqie is doing with GdkPixbuf before I removed the obsolete "this is backed by spinning oxide, so limit it to one thread" config line for the QThreadPool. ~20 seconds for Geeqie to load something on the order of 6000 thumbnails, ~10 seconds for PyQt on one thread, ~7 seconds for PyQt when it's allowed to fully compete for both of my CPU cores, all with the same Geeqie .gqv collection file.)
        Last edited by ssokolow; 18 August 2022, 03:56 PM.

Comment

Recently I discovered "OnlyOffice", since it is included by default in Manjaro. As a alternative for LibreOffice, it seems OK. Had better Windows font support than LO, since original PowerPoint documents didn't had text out of scale. On the other hand, the presentation mode is totally broken, with screen detection bugged and presentation notes missing, both on Windows and Linux up-to-date installations.

Better stay with LO and if you had font problems, use Google Docs, since it didn't need installation, although LO presentation mode is still better.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
            Recently I discovered "OnlyOffice", since it is included by default in Manjaro.
            Don't you mean FreeOffice by SoftMaker? Manjaro made a big deal about shipping that suite by default. SoftMaker Office has been my go-to for a few years now. I don't use presentations, but the Word and Excel apps are superb!

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Don't you mean FreeOffice by SoftMaker? Manjaro made a big deal about shipping that suite by default. SoftMaker Office has been my go-to for a few years now. I don't use presentations, but the Word and Excel apps are superb!
              Nope. You made me check it and in fact it is OnlyOffice, at least in the XFCE and KDE ISOs.

Comment

Recently I discovered "OnlyOffice", since it is included by default in Manjaro. As a alternative for LibreOffice, it seems OK. Had better Windows font support than LO, since original PowerPoint documents didn't had text out of scale. On the other hand, the presentation mode is totally broken, with screen detection bugged and presentation notes missing, both on Windows and Linux up-to-date installations.

Better stay with LO and if you had font problems, use Google Docs, since it didn't need installation, although LO presentation mode is still better.
                What is broken in presentation mode for you? Seems to work fine here. Also, ONLYOFFICE (they like to shout!) kicks the ever loving snot out of LibreOffice in terms of Microsoft Office compatibility. Impress may as well not even exist if you are talking about slide decks for work. The formatting errors even on fairly simple slides can be horrendous. ONLYOFFICE is actually pretty damn close, even on more complex slides. Other aspects of LibreOffice baffle me. In Calc, when I'm writing out a formula, why doesn't it highlight the cells that are part of the formula? Stuff like that seems extremely basic. Am I missing a setting somewhere?

Comment

Originally posted by pWe00Iri3e7Z9lHOX2Qx View Post

What is broken in presentation mode for you? Seems to work fine here. Also, ONLYOFFICE (they like to shout!) kicks the ever loving snot out of LibreOffice in terms of Microsoft Office compatibility. Impress may as well not even exist if you are talking about slide decks for work. The formatting errors even on fairly simple slides can be horrendous. ONLYOFFICE is actually pretty damn close, even on more complex slides. Other aspects of LibreOffice baffle me. In Calc, when I'm writing out a formula, why doesn't it highlight the cells that are part of the formula? Stuff like that seems extremely basic. Am I missing a setting somewhere?
                  In OnlyOffice, the screen detection, when it works, puts the presentation on the screen of the laptop and the presenter screen on the projector... You have to change manually. LibreOffice gets it right without intervention.

Also, the notes (or annotations) for the presenter are missing on OO. Again, LO show them without problem.

But OO have better font handling when dealing with PowerPoint files. The font handling of PowerPoint is a problem inherent of LO, that is why in some files the formatting look wrong. No setting that I know of will help you there, unless you edit the entire archive in LO, a real pain.

I also tested FreeOffice and the presenter screen is missing on the free version... Jesus, why even bother with a module for PowerPoint in the collection...

Comment

In OnlyOffice, the screen detection, when it works, puts the presentation on the screen of the laptop and the presenter screen on the projector... You have to change manually. LibreOffice gets it right without intervention.

Also, the notes (or annotations) for the presenter are missing on OO. Again, LO show them without problem.

But OO have better font handling when dealing with PowerPoint files. The font handling of PowerPoint is a problem inherent of LO, that is why in some files the formatting look wrong. No setting that I know of will help you there, unless you edit the entire archive in LO, a real pain.

I also tested FreeOffice and the presenter screen is missing on the free version... Jesus, why even bother with a module for PowerPoint in the collection...
                    Gotcha. I agree it's crazy that there doesn't appear to be any in-app screen selection. On my desktop it always starts presenting on the far left screen (the last connected display output), so I have to manually move it around (on KDE, so Super + left mouse drag).

My speaker notes while presenting work if I use "Show Presenter View". They come up in a separate window that shows the notes / slides on my middle screen by default. If the slides have fancy builds (animations), I have to progress through them from the main presenting screen though. If I progress them from the presenter view window that shows the notes, they get out of sync (it doesn't progress the slides that are presenting during the build).

All in all, I assume there are about 5 people using anything other than Microsoft PowerPoint, Google Slides, or Apple Keynote in the corporate world. Even the small startups I visit typically have Google Workspace or Microsoft 365 accounts for everyone. Starting at $6/user/month and less in-house support IT needed, it's not hard to see why.

Comment

Working...
                    X