GNOME 43 Beta Released With More GTK 4 Porting, Other Desktop Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME 43 Beta Released With More GTK 4 Porting, Other Desktop Improvements

Phoronix: GNOME 43 Beta Released With More GTK 4 Porting, Other Desktop Improvements

The beta of GNOME 43 is now available for testing ahead of the stable release next month...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Sounds like a great update

Out of curiosity, is anyone running NVIDIA 510.x or 515.x drivers with Gnome Wayland? How does it work?

Comment

I hope that one day they can make it perform a bit better on lower end systems.
      LIke a raspberry pi with only 2GB ram for example.

The moment I log into my desktop it spawns all kinds of packagekit and other repository sync processes.. getting the system to a crawl for at least two minutes.

Let alone starting Firefox or Chromium...
      ​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by MastaG View Post
        LIke a raspberry pi with only 2GB ram for example.​​​​​​
        For Raspberry Pi and other ARM SBCs, I think Xfce and similar lightweight desktop environments still have a bright future.

Comment

Originally posted by MastaG View Post
          ​​​​​​
          I think you can forget about everything but Weston with Raspberry Pi, but I'd also expect Firefox Webrender to never run well on such GPUs that are total garbage even vs. those of ancient SoCs found in Android world.

Comment

Heh, and triple buffering support hasn't landed. Why I'm not surprised?

Comment

GNOME really has shaped up to become the de-facto Linux desktop. I've been using it for a while, despite the fact that I'm not really a fan of the UI. Most other desktops are just designed much better and are easier to control. But I have to say, it is the most stable.

It doesn't do weird things when I don't expect weird things to happen.

Having used most other desktops(KDE, XFCE, and others) there is a gulf of reliability. It really helps to have more corporate backing for the purposes of bug squashing. It definitely shows.

Comment

Originally posted by anarsoul View Post
                Heh, and triple buffering support hasn't landed. Why I'm not surprised?
                Cause there are still bugs blocking the merge of the feature? Yeah, why would anyone be surprised.
                It's not like we're dealing with an amateurish project.

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
                  but I'd also expect Firefox Webrender to never run well on such GPUs that are total garbage even vs. those of ancient SoCs found in Android world.
                  It would have been awesome if we had an SoC from one of the cheaper phones (maybe even a snapdragon 695) with good mainline and open source driver support, on a maker friendly form factor (like raspberry pi).

Comment

Originally posted by Calinou View Post

For Raspberry Pi and other ARM SBCs, I think Xfce and similar lightweight desktop environments still have a bright future.
                    I expect gnome to catch up and surpass them.

Why? GPU acceleration. That will free up CPU resources for other things, but the smaller desktops may not have the resources to make the same move to GPU. However it may be dificult with the lower RAM variants depending on how good they are at allocating GPU vs CPU memory.

As an example of this, in the effort to port Evince (a pdf viewer app, so not a desktop) to GTK4, the developer has stated on his risc V development platform the performance has gone from 0.5fps to 60 fps.
                    Last edited by You-; 15 August 2022, 02:53 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X