GNOME 43 Beta Released With More GTK 4 Porting, Other Desktop Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by You- View Post
    I expect gnome to catch up and surpass them.
    It will never catch up for such terrible hardware, unless the shell is completely rewritten in an efficient, multi-threading and GPU acceleration friendly manner.
    It burns magnitudes of CPU time, stalls and has been doing so for the time it exists. Plus there is the great Mesa/Wayland mystery of how to do vsync right with low latency while GPU load is high, which apparently needs to be solved yet (slightly unrelated, but it adds to the total experience)...
    Last edited by aufkrawall; 15 August 2022, 03:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MastaG View Post
      I hope that one day they can make it perform a bit better on lower end systems.
      LIke a raspberry pi with only 2GB ram for example.

The moment I log into my desktop it spawns all kinds of packagekit and other repository sync processes.. getting the system to a crawl for at least two minutes.

Let alone starting Firefox or Chromium...
      ​​​​​​
      Why? GNOME is not intended for such devices. You can't balance a desktop environment to work properly on such a wide range of hardware, if it can run on very low end devices, it lacks features/eyecandy and thus high end devices do not exploit their potential.... Just use a more lightweight environment for lower end devices, there are many choices.

Comment

I look forward to this new GNOME releasing, it sounds very promising and looks to be a great release!

It will be nice with all the modernizations of apps with GTK 4.

With this new responsive GNOME Calls app that better work on devices with small screens makes wonder if it would be somehow possible to run GNOME applications on a Android phone?

Comment

Originally posted by Vermilion View Post

Cause there are still bugs blocking the merge of the feature? Yeah, why would anyone be surprised.
          It's not like we're dealing with an amateurish project.
          AFAIK the actual reason is that the maintainers are not very happy about the code. It works, but apparently makes other planned changes harder. We've seen similar cases like this before where Daniel has chosen "shortcuts" to solve specific issues - which is fine for downstream, but often not so much for upstream, if you care about maintainability.

Comment

As a user, I'm in danger of leaving Gnome. There may be good reasons for GTK4, but they're opaque to me.

I want to be able to hide/show the dock and topbar while a application is in full-screen mode. If there's something the application should do to make that work, but it's not, Gnome should do it automatically. Instead, everything flickers and behaves unpredictably.

Optimization is for a functioning product. I am consistently upset to hear that they're "optimizing" this half-a-desktop. Ship a completed product, then improve it. If that doesn't jibe with your plans for summer camp, [insert Rust joke here].

Comment

Wow new backgrounds...

Comment

Originally posted by mppix View Post
                Out of curiosity, is anyone running NVIDIA 510.x or 515.x drivers with Gnome Wayland? How does it work?
                On Fedora 36 myself (latest drivers, GTX 1070), I did a week or so of Wayland several months back. Ended up switching back to X11 just because of some issues with some Electron apps, everything else worked just fine for me. Sans GNOME Shell's Night Light feature, which is purely in NVIDIA's court right now.

I recently tried to switch back to Wayland just to see and most of my problems had gone away. With the exception that my system would no longer suspend anymore when I sign off for the day. Which was a bummer, I need to go back and pull out the logged journal error, something was interfering with GNOME Shell during the suspending process. Might try it again later this week to make sure my configuration was fully correct.

Long story short... we're almost there! However, there are some cases where things just won't work, e.g. Krita in XWayland not having an accelerated canvas, and are more complex problems than other situations. And I need to go back and verify OBS wasn't having a fit, I can't remember how that went.

Cheers,
                Mike

Comment

The moment I log into my desktop it spawns all kinds of packagekit and other repository sync processes.. getting the system to a crawl for at least two minutes.

​​​​​​
                  You can disable packagekit and other services you don't need. Also use aarch64 if your rpi is new enough.

Comment

​​​​​​
                    GNOME has made a lot of progress in terms of performance over the last few months and years. My impression is that it is now on par with other desktops such as MATE or XFCE in terms of speed.

And I generally would not recommend 2GB on the desktop to anyone anymore. Most websites alone are so complex today that 2 GB is simply not enough, regardless of the desktop. A Raspberry with 4 GB is not that expensive either.

Comment

- The Epiphany web browser removed PDF.js, adds various WebExtensions features, and other updates.
                      While I love that Epiphany is finally get webextensions features (as I use only a good handful of them and I couldn't really live without i.e. uBlock Origin, DarkReader, CookieAutoDelete, and Bitwarden), I don't get why PDF.js was removed. Didn't they just add that a few releases ago?

Comment

Working...
                      X