Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Plasma 5.26 Improving Widget Accessibility, Kickoff Gets Compact Mode + Wayland Fixes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plasma 5.26 Improving Widget Accessibility, Kickoff Gets Compact Mode + Wayland Fixes

Phoronix: Plasma 5.26 Improving Widget Accessibility, Kickoff Gets Compact Mode + Wayland Fixes

It's been another busy summer week for KDE developers with many new features and fixes landing within this open-source desktop stack...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Thanks for the article. I just love your work man, keep the good job!

Comment

certain apps like GIMP no longer sometimes fail to appear in the Task Manager.
      I have a few apps of mine launched from corresponding .desktop files of mine which the task manager refuses to add (or yields weird behavior) despite the fact they launch perfectly fine when double clicking them. I hope it's not another paranoid shitty "security" policy that the Linux community spends 99% of its free time obsessing about apparently (snaps are a consequence of this train of thought imho).

I'm sick and tired of this shit lately, had to remove Firefox entirely and use a .tar.gz version from Mozilla because Ubuntu's "security" doesn't allow firefox to display local .html files even after tweaking in config:about.
      Linux feels more and more like a remote bank terminal rather than a desktop OS. </done ranting>
      Last edited by cl333r; 13 August 2022, 08:58 AM.

Comment

The opening/closing animations for Overview, Present Windows, and Desktop Grid effects last longer to make them feel smoother.
        To me, that's just hilarious. Within the first 3 minutes of very KDE install I set the animation speed to two ticks from fastest because the default speeds are way too slow and the fastest speed just doesn't feel right. I wonder if this will make the fastest settings feel more natural? That'd be nice.

Not gonna lie, not counting the extension interface crashing from full screen videos, when I used GNOME week before last the slow animations were my biggest irk...especially the Overview one. While the animations are neat for showing off how pretty the desktops are, those same animations get very annoying very fast over the long term when you're just trying to get work done...especially if you're like me and you keep accidentally triggering the Overview effect every GD time you go to click the back button in Firefox...

Comment

Also under the Plasma Wayland session, certain apps like GIMP no longer sometimes fail to appear in the Task Manager.
          This has been happening with HexChat too. It was driving me crazy, very glad it's fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
            I'm sick and tired of this shit lately, had to remove Firefox entirely and use a .tar.gz version from Mozilla because Ubuntu's "security" doesn't allow firefox to display local .html files even after tweaking in config:about.
            That's because you're using the wrong page.
            Last edited by Vistaus; 13 August 2022, 12:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

especially if you're like me and you keep accidentally triggering the Overview effect every GD time you go to click the back button in Firefox...
              Why on earth you not using Alt + Left and / or haven't turned Hot corners off? Keyboard is so much faster, you've just talked about animations speed, seems like you prefer speed don't you?

Comment

The mice have been crying while getting prickled in the process but kept gnawing at the cactus.

(A nice Russian joke in regard to those who continue to enjoy Wayland).

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
                  The mice have been crying while getting prickled in the process but kept gnawing at the cactus.

(A nice Russian joke in regard to those who continue to enjoy Wayland).
                  Yea, thanks God I have Nvidia GPUs so I'm not tempted to run this unfinished project. I'm still jaded from the too early rollout of pulse on Ubuntu LTS releases

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
                    The original joke is about hedgehogs, not mice...

Comment

Working...
                    X