No announcement yet.

KDE Kicks Off August With More Desktop Bug Fixes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

With my latest 3xperiences with KDE 5 24. I welcome 5heceffort towards bug fixes. Particularly in the Panel. Which seems to be a foreign entity to KDE 5 24 and behaves on its own. Resisting all configuration changes and widget additions.

Comment

Originally posted by user1 View Post

Listen, I know it's cool hating on Gnome, but saying something that's obviously ridiculous is cringe. I'm no fanboy of either desktop, but seeing KDE fanboys sh!tting on Gnome, while simultaneously being blind to the flaws of KDE is really annoying.
      Funny, that you see it like this but why do you think that my post got so many likes - all haters I guess. But to be honest, I could be a bit salty when it comes to Gnome, as I was using Gnome until they removed one feature too many, I had enough, went back to buggy KDE Plasma and to my amazement it didn't crash nearly as much as I remembered. The ability to customize it to my liking, without needing Plugins that break at nearly every update of Gnome, was such a breeze of fresh air. This was about 2 or 3 years ago and I haven't looked back as I feel like the KDE devs take me and my needs and wants a lot more serious while the Gnome devs only care for there corporate overlords. This feeling is also the reason why I'm running Linux and can't stand the OSs from Microsoft and Apple. <edit>OK, I use Windows at work and MacOS if I have to touch my wife's computer but still - not if I can avoid it.</edit>

As you can see it's a subjective thing and yes, emotions play a big part in it but calling it hate is a bit too strong - I'm not my kids that hate very thing that they don't love but I dislike a lot
      Last edited by slalomsk8er; 06 August 2022, 12:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by slalomsk8er View Post
        I feel like the KDE devs take me and my needs and wants a lot more serious while the Gnome devs only care for there corporate overlords.
        This is exactly why I mentioned that I'm no fanboy of either DE and neither of them are perfect. Like someone mentioned in this thread, I agree that Gnome has a problem of arrogant devs (for example, look at the issue with GTK 4 font rendering). And I also agree that Gnome is pretty limited in some areas.

My personal stance on the DE situation is that it's sad that the 2 big DE of the Linux desktop are far from perfect. KDE is too buggy for me and Gnome has some arrogant devs and is pretty limited in some areas. So currently, my favorite DE is actually Mate, which is very stable, belongs to the traditional desktop paradigm which I prefer, and currently has healthy development. But I would say the future of traditional GTK DE's like Mate and Xfce is pretty uncertain because of how GTK is tied to Gnome. There was a discussion in another forum that features required by traditional GTK DE's are gradually being removed in new GTK versions.

Comment

I'd really want to use KDE, but it's multi monitor support is lackluster. Not being able to setup virtual desktop in just one of them is a killer for me. Yes, there is a plugin that hack a way around it, but it's buggy.

Comment

Originally posted by user1 View Post

I'm not saying either of the projects are perfect, but when I see something like "Fixed a Wayland bug that sometimes crashes this or that" almost every week, it doesn't make me faithful in the project.
            This is a worry of mine with the blog. The reason why I started out highlighting bugfixes in the first place a few years ago was because I got the sense that there was a pervasive impression that KDE was played out, that its developers were exhausted, that they just weren't fixing any bugs anymore. And that was wrong! They are constantly fixing bugs and performing maintenance! So it was a way to prove, "KDE is alive, look!" And I think we've overcome that impression and nobody thinks KDE is dead anymore. But maybe it's time to stop highlighting these smaller and less important bugfixes because it gives the impression that KDE software is super buggy in a general sense. And that's not really true; with some exceptions it's mostly the niche features and the non-default options that have obvious bugs. In reality, all open-source software is buggy and its maintainers are constantly doing bugfixing, even the GNOME people, and even if they don't shout it from the rooftops.

Comment

Originally posted by halo9en View Post

Actually all requests and bug reports I have submitted to Gnome have been fixed. I can't say the same for Kde (when I still used it), they simply ignored everything.
              Uh, that can't be true. The other day I've learnt that GNOME invented ignoring user bugs.

Comment

Originally posted by Nth_man View Post

You can submit a "allow you to rename and delete files from inside the Open/Save dialogs."
                A lot of people have tried, but you say that "all requests and bug reports I have submitted to Gnome have been fixed".
                Why would you want that? Oo file chooser is no file manager. Me confused

Maybe a sane feature request would be: open current folder in file manager.
                Last edited by oleid; 06 August 2022, 03:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by balunga View Post

It's cool to hate on Gnome because they give us plenty of reason to hate them with their apparent pure disdain for their users: our users want server-side decorations as a fallback with good reasoning and it's also supported by almost everyone else? Just fix your applications, we don't care lol. Font rendering broken for our users in GTK4? Too bad, works as intended! Using GTK_USE_PORTAL=1 because people don't want to use the GTK file picker in GTK apps (which QT allows just fine using QT_QPA_PLATFORMTHEME=gtk3)? Well we don't care , you're all clowns! etc etc.). I can rant just as many things about KDE, but an user-hostile attitude is not one.
                  But those are GTK feature requests, not GNOME request.

Comment

Originally posted by Nth_man View Post

It's a request, he said "all requests and bug reports I have submitted to Gnome have been fixed".
                    So what? He probably didn't request that misfeature. Furthermore, it's a GTK feature request, not a GNOME feature request. And that is what he was talking about, wasn't he?

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Well, not anymore, because the two users that *would* infiltrate KDE threads with GNOME and Xfce marketing stuff/KDE hate posts are banned (Debianxfce and that other guy who's user name I forgot).
                      Either that, or the GNOME users are simply using their desktops and feel no need to invade KDE threads?

Comment

Working...
                      X