X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sinepgib
    replied
    Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

I wonder: who is a "casual terminal user"? The Average Joe, if at all using Linux, is afraid of the terminal anyway.
    I think it's meant to deal with the fact pretty much all tutorials out there to do stuff focus on the terminal, so a casual user would be "I just want to run this command because <blogger I for some reason trust> told me so". Much like most people only use nano if they are not vim/emacs users and their GUI borked, so they follow some guide to fix it in single user mode. nano is simple almost to the point of the absurd (by default, a friend of mine did mod it to a point it was somewhat useful for programming) so casual users that only want it for emergencies don't need to go through a steep learning curve.

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
    Having tabs and whatnot doesn't make something complicated, it's essential functionality.
    Just use tmux I guess.

Originally posted by reba View Post
    It's just average and for the average user - so make it default! Gnome logic. So Gnome users are average users?
    They probably aim for average users. We won't have any if we don't make it easier for them to migrate. And, really, all this fuss about defaults catering to them makes me wonder how much of a power user is your typical """power user""" that is annoyed at just having to remove an app and replace it with a different one. I mean, I understand that from an average user (thus targeting default in user friendly distros to their needs), but allegedly power users? How hard is it to use apt-get?

NOTE: I'm assuming from the first comment that both terminals are intended to coexist, rather than one replacing the other in terms of maintenance.

Originally posted by Rob72 View Post
    And I want my terminal to be readable, so the last thing I want is transparency.
    I always wondered at why people liked terminal transparency so much. Just like you, I find it makes stuff unreadable. I like my eye candy as much as any other guy, but I wouldn't put it above functionality.

Originally posted by oleid View Post
    It is recommended for the casual terminal user, not "power users" according to gnome-console's gitlab page:
    I came here precisely to ask about what the main differences were that made it worth making yet another terminal. So this aims at having a newbie friendly version? I like the concept and consider we do need newbie friendly tools, but I can't imagine how you'd make a newbie terminal specifically.

Leave a comment:

• reba
    replied
    Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post

FWIW, Fedora developers looked at this before -> https://pagure.io/fedora-workstation/issue/261 looks like it has functionality gaps including lack of profiles.
    Thanks, that was a good read.

Funny to see Fedora guys a bit stumped of how feature-lacking the replacing program Console to Terminal is that suddenly gets shoved down their throats by Gnome upstream.

And they created a "priority list" some months ago which included (my words): "talk to upstream (Gnome) about what they want Console to become, so we can make an educated guess if we adopt it or keep Terminal and patch it ourselves. Also, we (Fedora) miss features".

Boy, I wonder if they ever even get a response to their pain points, not even mentioning an action. They're simply just Fedora, after all.

Leave a comment:

• M@GOid
    replied
    Originally posted by reba View Post
    It's just average and for the average user - so make it default! Gnome logic. So Gnome users are average users?
    I was under the impression they had not users, but test subjects. And they do horrible experiments on them, like how much abuse they can tolerate while still praising Gnome in the KDE vs Gnome wars. Turned out it is a lot.

Leave a comment:

• Vistaus
    replied
    Originally posted by oleid View Post

It is recommended for the casual terminal user, not "power users" according to gnome-console's gitlab page:
    I wonder: who is a "casual terminal user"? The Average Joe, if at all using Linux, is afraid of the terminal anyway.

Leave a comment:

• jacob
    replied
    Originally posted by er888kh View Post

Is changing the terminal's colors supported? How does it compare to blackbox for example?
    Only light/dark.

Leave a comment:

• RahulSundaram
    replied
    Originally posted by user1 View Post
    I really can't understand how could anyone like Gnome Console in its current state.
    It's also interesting that Ubuntu adopts it before Fedora, because it's usually more conservative in adopting new stuff.
    FWIW, Fedora developers looked at this before -> https://pagure.io/fedora-workstation/issue/261 looks like it has functionality gaps including lack of profiles.

Leave a comment:

• cl333r
    replied
    Having tabs and whatnot doesn't make something complicated, it's essential functionality. I need an underline cursor that doesn't blink because it's annoying.

Leave a comment:

• er888kh
    replied
    Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
    With these kind of "improvements" I'm glad I'm using KDE.
    BTW, anyone knows how does either of these 2 Gnome's terminals compare with KDE's terminal (Konsole)?
    On the KDE side, I know that Konsole supports profiles, tabs, monitoring for silence, activity and process finished, Emojis.
    In case anyone wonders what is the Emoji support good for, I can customize the command prompt to show sa smiling or sad face depending if the previous command was successful or not.
    I don't really know about Console, but Terminal has support for all of the features you mentioned except for monitoring. Why should a terminal have support for such a thing? You can easily accomplish this using some shell script (I have tried it for process finished myself).

Leave a comment:

• rastersoft
    replied
    Originally posted by er888kh View Post

Is changing the terminal's colors supported? How does it compare to blackbox for example?
    I sent a patch that adds support for palettes, but... it's still in the queue.

Leave a comment:

• user1
    replied
    I really can't understand how could anyone like Gnome Console in its current state.
    It's also interesting that Ubuntu adopts it before Fedora, because it's usually more conservative in adopting new stuff.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X