X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ssokolow
    replied
    Originally posted by er888kh View Post
    except for monitoring. Why should a terminal have support for such a thing? You can easily accomplish this using some shell script (I have tried it for process finished myself).
    1. You can easily enable it part-way through execution when you realize something is going to take longer than expected.
    2. It's integrated into Settings > Configure Notifications so you can easily give "Bell in a non-focused session", "Bell in a focused session", "Silence in a non-focused session", "Silence in a focused session", "Activity in a non-focused session", "Activity in a focused session", and "Exited with non-zero status", separate and independent notification behaviours.
    I can't remember whether Konsole lets you set notification configurations on a per-profile basis, but it does at least let you customize the threshold after which something is considered silence for notification purposes on a per-profile basis.

Leave a comment:

• oleid
    replied
    Originally posted by felipec View Post

You have too look at the correct graph.
    If you had read the instructions, you would have noticed that you'd need to switch from "installed" to "vote", which means the package is actually used. Or maybe you conveniently switched to the wrong view to support you strange theories?

Your graph tells us: an increasing number of people installed other Desktops along with gnome3. Or maybe they don't pre-install gnome3 anymore and don't use it.

If you take your graph and switch to "vote", i.e. the actual users of the software (by checking if the process is run) you get this:

Actually correct graph

As you can see, the percentage is steady over time. So the obvious way to read both our plots is: more people try other desktops (as shown by your sinking percentage), but continue using gnome3 (because they didn't like the other desktops?) as shown by the steady usage number.
    Last edited by oleid; 03 August 2022, 12:47 AM.

Leave a comment:

• felipec
    replied
    Originally posted by oleid View Post

That's ages old. And gnome has still users.
    If you trust Debian's popularity contest it's the most popular desktop:
    Every word there is still valid. At the time of its peak GNOME 2 had 4 times more users than both KDE and Xfce combined, now it's only 1.5 times.

Moreover, you are conveniently looking at the votes, and the total number, which paints a dubious picture. If you see the installations as a percentage, it's very clear GNOME is steadily declining. It's also clear that Xfce was losing users before GNOME 3, and afterwards they jumped up. Moreover cinnamon and MATE (which you conveniently forgot in your graph) didn't exist, and now they have a considerable userbase.

All those new users of Xfce, MATE, and Cinnamon would have been users (and developers) of GNOME. No, we are never coming back to the mess of GNOME 3.

You have too look at the correct graph.

Leave a comment:

• oleid
    replied
    Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

The average terminal user is a power user.
    Maybe, but the average desktop user is not an average terminal user. And it is about what package is preinstalled. I think we all agree that a desktop needs a shell. And even people which typically use a shell might need to use a shell at some point.

Leave a comment:

• oleid
    replied
    That's ages old. And gnome has still users.
    If you trust Debian's popularity contest it's the most popular desktop:

https://qa.debian.org/popcon-graph.p...25m&beenhere=1

So it would seem they wandered off, didn't like what they found and came back?
    Last edited by oleid; 02 August 2022, 05:29 PM.

Leave a comment:

• elatllat
    replied
    apt purge snapd nano GNOME_Console

Leave a comment:

• dr_wix
    replied
    BTW, anyone knows how does either of these 2 Gnome's terminals compare with KDE's terminal (Konsole)?
    ​​​​​

Konsole is light years ahead of any terminal emulator out there simply because it has tabs and supports splits in a way that don't suck. The current maintainer has been maintaining it since ~17 years, that's a big plus.

Leave a comment:

• tildearrow
    replied

It is recommended for the casual terminal user, not "power users" according to gnome-console's gitlab page:
    The average terminal user is a power user.

Leave a comment:

• F.Ultra
    replied
    Originally posted by sinepgib View Post
    a friend of mine did mod it to a point it was somewhat useful for programming
    nano it quite useful for programming as it is. Now I prefer something like gedit since it is nicer to work with but I have also written millions of lines of code in nano with very little effort. But then I have also never understood what people see in vim or emacs.

Leave a comment:

• uxmkt
    replied
    Why did they wander off?
    Since I started using Linux I used GNOME, v1.2 in those times. It has always done what I needed, maybe not perfectly, and not fully, but for the most part. GNOME 3 changed all that. I complained ab…

Leave a comment:

Working...
X