Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by felipec View Post

You have too look at the correct graph.
    If you had read the instructions, you would have noticed that you'd need to switch from "installed" to "vote", which means the package is actually used. Or maybe you conveniently switched to the wrong view to support you strange theories?

Your graph tells us: an increasing number of people installed other Desktops along with gnome3. Or maybe they don't pre-install gnome3 anymore and don't use it.

If you take your graph and switch to "vote", i.e. the actual users of the software (by checking if the process is run) you get this:

Actually correct graph

As you can see, the percentage is steady over time. So the obvious way to read both our plots is: more people try other desktops (as shown by your sinking percentage), but continue using gnome3 (because they didn't like the other desktops?) as shown by the steady usage number.
    Last edited by oleid; 03 August 2022, 12:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by er888kh View Post
      except for monitoring. Why should a terminal have support for such a thing? You can easily accomplish this using some shell script (I have tried it for process finished myself).
      1. You can easily enable it part-way through execution when you realize something is going to take longer than expected.
      2. It's integrated into Settings > Configure Notifications so you can easily give "Bell in a non-focused session", "Bell in a focused session", "Silence in a non-focused session", "Silence in a focused session", "Activity in a non-focused session", "Activity in a focused session", and "Exited with non-zero status", separate and independent notification behaviours.
      I can't remember whether Konsole lets you set notification configurations on a per-profile basis, but it does at least let you customize the threshold after which something is considered silence for notification purposes on a per-profile basis.

Comment

Originally posted by oleid View Post

If you had read the instructions, you would have noticed that you'd need to switch from "installed" to "vote", which means the package is actually used.
        That is false and intellectually dishonest. The instructions don't say anything about switching to vote, and you know that. They also don't say vote means the package is "actually used", and you know that too. If you assume that only packages marked with "vote" are "actually used", that would mean only around 30% of users do "actually use" a graphical interface--as that's roughly the percentage of users regularly using xorg and wayland.

You don't actually think only 30% use a graphical interface. Do you?

Even if you assume the graphs represent what you claim they do (they don't), GNOME 2 managed to achieve 30% of "votes" at some point in time.

So my question to you is very simple: does GNOME 3 have 30% of "votes", or less?

Comment

I'm not familiar with all this popcon sort of stuff. Depending on how "users" are defined, that may be true. Debian is quite popular for use in VPSes and other GUIless server scenarios. If anything, 30% sounds unbelievably high compared to the total Debian install base and makes me wonder how many Debian users we have who are FOSS zealots who run popcon-y stuff on their VPSes to push the numbers.

Comment

That is false and intellectually dishonest. The instructions don't say anything about switching to vote, and you know that.
            Well, it is not written there "you need to switch to vote", but given the instructions it should be obvious to anyone that"vote" is the only one which makes sense for our discussion.

They also don't say vote means the package is "actually used", and you know that too.
            Well, I can only cite the page:

vote is the number of people who use this package regularly
            What else should it be?

If you assume that only packages marked with "vote" are "actually used", that would mean only around 30% of users do "actually use" a graphical interface--as that's roughly the percentage of users regularly using xorg and wayland.
            Don't blame me, you wanted to use the percentage numbers. It is probably only a matter of "what is 100%".

Actually, that wouldn't surprise me. We're talking about Debian, which is highly popular on servers. And nobody installs graphical user interfaces on a server.

Even if you assume the graphs represent what you claim they do (they don't), GNOME 2 managed to achieve 30% of "votes" at some point in time.

So my question to you is very simple: does GNOME 3 have 30% of "votes", or less?
            Given that there were fewer alternatives back then I don't think it is too bad.
            Clearly, gnome3 has fewer users than gnome2 back then. But today you have more options. So it doesn't come as a surprise.

If I were you, I'd be more worried about KDE than about GNOME. Given the stats I'd say GNOME is doing fine.

Comment

Well, it is not written there "you need to switch to vote", but given the instructions it should be obvious to anyone that"vote" is the only one which makes sense for our discussion.
              Speak for yourself. It's not obvious to me, or anyone else who doesn't share your assumptions.

We're talking about Debian, which is highly popular on servers. And nobody installs graphical user interfaces on a server.
              That sounds like capitulation that Debian numbers are not what we are looking for.

Clearly, gnome3 has fewer users than gnome2 back then. But today you have more options.
              Duh! We have more options because GNOME developers fucked up GNOME 3.

Comment

That sounds like capitulation that Debian numbers are not what we are looking for.
                Not necessarily. Debian doesn't target server exclusively. Debian aims to be universal. But by all means, if you have solid figures (other than some random forum poll) please share.

Duh! We have more options because GNOME developers fucked up GNOME 3.
                The same way we have trinity because they fucked up with KDE 4 and we have Enlightenment and unity because everybody fucked up. That's a very sad world view.

Comment

Not necessarily. Debian doesn't target server exclusively. Debian aims to be universal. But by all means, if you have solid figures (other than some random forum poll) please share.
                  If you attempt for everyone to like you, then nobody will like you (except for the people that like everybody).

You pretend you want "solid figures", but any figures I give you you will reject (unless they match your preconceived notions). Either way, here are the relevant desktop environment statistics for the actual most popular distribution today: pkgstats. If anyone unbiased is interested.

As anyone with eyes can clearly see: GNOME will never be what it once was.

The same way we have trinity because they fucked up with KDE 4 and we have Enlightenment and unity because everybody fucked up. That's a very sad world view.
                  No, not "the same way". It's not the same to say "I'm late because I was stuck in traffic" and "Iraq has weapons of mass destruction".

Magnitude makes a difference.

Comment

Ubuntu is becoming a server-focused distro, so this seems like a step in the wrong direction.

Originally posted by direc85 View Post
                    There's zero configurability whatsoever..!
                    You're surprised that a GNOME program doesn't give you options?

Comment

Lmao Gnome apps keep losing features... Will this never ending story of simplification be over some day?

Comment

Working...
                      X